PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver MySQL recordset connectopn problem

Zaphodz
11-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to create a recordset for the first time in Dreamweaver MX but am having problems getting the connection with the database to work.
I have set up a MySQL database on my server (which I have checked and is OK), checked that PHP is running and have connected Dreamweaver to the server successfully ( in "Edit Sites" the "remote info" & "testing server" tests show a successful connection).
When I try to connect to the database I get this sequence of events:

1. Dialigue box: "Retrieving information from public_html"
2. Dialigue box: "Waiting for server" (with progress bar)
3. Dialigue box: "Dreamweaver cannot determine the remote server time. The Select Newer and Synchronise commands will not be available."
4. Spinning ball for a few minutes (I'm using Mac OSX)
5. back to "Waiting for server" dialogue box which remains for ages, eventually I click "cancel"
6. "An unexpected error occurred"

If anyone can shed any light on what I might be missing I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks - Zaphodz

djr33
11-28-2006, 02:51 PM
I haven't always had great luck connecting with dreamweaver.
I like how you can edit files directly off the server (or at least pretend to, since it's just making the ftp process faster... you're editing locally then it uploads), but this can lead to a bad habit of not keeping a local copy for backup purposes.

The problem may be dreamweaver; it may be the server; and it may be settings.

It seems that your server connects alright, so your settings (username/pass/url) are probably correct.

dreamweaver might just not like something about your host, so an alternative ftp program could help. (Try a windows machine and just type the ftp url into any internet explorer (or folder) window to see if that works, as an easy test of another ftp system. Mac OS also has support for FTP, but it doesn't work well. It's in the go menu (in Finder).)

What is likley is that something is wrong with the way the server outputs data, such as the date/time issue. I have no idea why. Also, similarly incorrectly output data could cause the termination of the connection (or, freezing, I guess) later.

So... see if you can fix your server. But that might be hard, or impossible, depending on what's wrong and how much access you have.

The first step would be to see if you can do this without Dreamweaver.

Remember that dreamweaver is just a tool, not something that you need to be able to do php/mysql/html. Everything is just text, and Dreamweaver makes it go faster, for the most part, but that's it.

Zaphodz
12-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, although I am an experienced web designer I have not had to deal with the database side of things before and am finding the whole php/MySQL thing very confusing. I was planning to use some WebAssist Dreamweaver extensions to create the forms and resulting page templates and php, but until I have a recordset up and running I can't use them... which leaves me stuck until I can resolve this connection issue.

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Even though I have the suite (dw fw Flash, FE, blah blah blah) I never use DW.. I hate it worse than frontpage, :D

Anyway, I found these 2 articles, may be of some help:

Dreamweaver help docs (http://livedocs.macromedia.com/dreamweaver/8/using/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=33_dyna3.htm)

ultradev article (http://www.wise-women.org/tutorials/UDtut2/)

Zaphodz
12-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks BLiZZaRD. I took a look at those and they all make sense... but I still can't get the connection to work. There's also this info on the Adobe/Dreamweaver support pages:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_16515#updater

This outlines a number of related issues with recommended workarounds but I've tried all the relavant ones to no avail. Looks like it's back to pulling my hair out...

Zaphodz

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Is this something you can do by hand using FTP? FileZilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/) is a Windows(R) FTP client that is free for download and use.

Zaphodz
12-01-2006, 10:46 AM
I have found that I can't use the FTP function in Dreamweaver either (I normally use another FTP app for this) so the problrm is not just the db connection but with the overall server connection, which when you test it under Sites Definitions says it is all OK. Very puzzling.

Hey-ho - Zaphodz

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Is it possible your site is new enough the DNS stuff hasn't gone all the way through?

Dunno buddy, running out of ideas :)

Zaphodz
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
No, the site has been up long enough. Am talking to the server company to see if the "Dreamweaver cannot determine the server time" issue is causing problems with connecting.

Seems like a lot of people have issues like this with Dreamweaver, unfortunately I don't have time at this stage to try getting this job done scripting the query page, results pages and php scripts from scratch.

Thanks again for your input BLiZZaRD

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 12:39 PM
heh, didn't think about that one..
try this:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14834#server_time

Zaphodz
12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
The good news - I managed to get the connection using the "use passive FTP" option.

The bad news - Now it just tells me that my db doesn't have any tables when it does!

Don't you just love this stuff?

Thanks again BLiZZaRD for your time on this.

Zaphodz

Zaphodz
12-01-2006, 01:10 PM
The good news - I managed to connect using the "Use passive FTP" option.

The bad news - Now it tells me that my db has no tables, which it does!!

Don't you just love this stuff?

Thanks again BLiZZaRD for your time on this :)

Zaphodz
12-03-2006, 02:31 PM
In case this is of any use to anyone experiencing similar problems, here is the next fix. For some reason (yet to be investigated) the database was not accepting my IP address even though it was in the MySQL IP Access addresses list. Adding a "wildcard" address of "%.%.%.%" allowed me to connect without a problem. Not an ideal solution, but it works.

Zaphodz :)