PDA

View Full Version : Conveyor Belt Slideshow doesn't quite work with IE 7

Adeen
11-27-2006, 03:07 PM
1) Script Title: Conveyor Belt Slideshow doesn't quite work with IE7

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/leftrightslide.htm

3) Describe problem: I am setting up a web site for a client and using the Conveyor Belt slide show script to scroll images across a page. The problem only occurs in IE (I'm using IE7) and is hard to describe. The images in the slideshow disappear at screen left at end of the slideshow rotation. Go to www.nysketches.com/NewWebPages/body_art.htm to view problem.

Can anyone help me with this? Is there a fix?

Thank you.

ddadmin
11-28-2006, 01:20 AM
I can confirm the issue on your page, though I'm not entirely convinced it's the script itself rather than something else on your page. The DD demo and its variations work without problems in my testing with IE7. I'll try to revisit this issue in the next few days. In the meantime, can you try creating a blank page with just this script and the assigned images on it, and see if the problem still occurs?

Adeen
11-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I tried the slideshow on a blank page as you suggested. When it is aligned to the left, it works fine. But when I center it on the page, the images disappear as they approach page left.

Maybe all it requires is a tweak in the code.

Thanks,
Adeen

Adeen
11-28-2006, 11:26 PM
1) Script Title: Conveyor Belt Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/leftrightslide.htm

3) Describe problem: I posted this problem before and did what the DDAdmin said I should do which is to try the script on a blank page. Script works if you keep it left aligned and at most 500 px wide. However, I need to make slideshow width 800 px and either center or left align it on the page. When I tried centering or left aligning, the images disappeared without reaching left side of page. You can see the problem if you go to www.nysketches.com/NewWebPages/body_art_test.htm

Please someone reply. I am desperate.

Thanks.

ddadmin
11-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Please try and keep all conversions regarding the same issue in one thread. FYI I've merged your above thread into this one.

I've played around some more with your code, though can't find a quick fix in IE&. I definitely see the issue though. I'l have to revisit this thread in the next couple of days once I have more time to examine the issue. There's a possibility I may rewrite the whole script next week, as the current code is really outdated.

Adeen
11-29-2006, 02:15 AM
Thank you so much. I will check back by the end of the week. I am desperate so please, please, give me a fix.

Thanks.

Adeen
12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't mean to be a nudge, but I am waiting on you to rewrite the Conveyor Belt Slideshow script, which you promise to do next week. Will you keep your promise?

I really do like how the slideshow looks and desperately want it to work with IE7, Firefox and Netscape latest versions.

Let me know.

Thanks.

jscheuer1
12-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Your link:

http://www.nysketches.com/NewWebPages/body_art_test.htm

is currently 404 not found. No one can help much with a page that isn't there.

I can say that centering scripts of this type is often tricky. Left align is the default position for most things so, for that use no alignment attribute or style property.

For center, I would try a page with a valid DOCTYPE and something like so:

<div style="width:800px;margin:0 auto;">
slideshow here
</div>

Oh, and you need to have enough images to make up a train that is at least a little more than 800px wide.

Added Later:

A demo -
http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/side/conveyor_center.htm

Adeen
12-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your help. I cut and pasted the revised script into my document and it works fine in Firefox, but I'm having the same old problem in IE7. The images scroll across the page fine at first but on the second rotation, they disappear as they scroll towards the left.

I have re-uploaded www.nysketches.com/NewWebPages/body_art_test.htm so that you can see the problem.

My images do make up a train that is more than 800px wide.

I would appreciate any more help that you can give.

jscheuer1
12-03-2006, 08:30 PM
The script I used in my demo wasn't updated at all. It is your complex and somewhat confused layout that is preventing the style of the container division from taking full effect in IE. Where you have this:

<td colspan="3" align="center" valign="top" bgcolor="#d4f4fe"><table width="85%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr><td></td></tr>
<tr><td><div style="width:800px;margin:0 auto;">

It can be simplified at least to:

<td colspan="3" valign="top" bgcolor="#d4f4fe"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr><td></td></tr>
<tr><td><div style="width:800px;margin:0 auto;">

Then the division's styles will take full effect. The nested table could also be removed. To do that (a good idea) get rid of:

<table width="85%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr><td></td></tr>
<tr><td>

completely instead of just changing its width to 100% and get rid of the trailing tags for it too (red):

</script>
</div>

</td></tr>
</table></td>

The most important part of either solution is to not use (red):

<td colspan="3" align="center" valign="top" bgcol . . .

in the containing td tag, that (align="center") is what really throws off IE with these types of scripts. In IE, it centers everything, not just the outer container of the script - you will notice that in IE with align="center", even the slide starts in the center of the page - not a good sign.

Adeen
12-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks for your help. I appreciate the effort you put into it.

ddadmin
12-04-2006, 02:42 AM
Wow John deserves a prize right here!

sandman8888
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I've had this same problem too and it took me 2 days to figure it out . . . I was altering the div classes within the script, but the real problem lies in the text alignment - just add <div style="text-align:left;"> before the script. IE has a way of inheriting the text-align attribute especially if you assign it to body. Thanks John for pointing that align issue out!