PDA

View Full Version : News ticker with AJAX methods... refresh???

KrakaJap
11-21-2006, 03:11 PM
I downloaded the free Ajax XML Ticker and I'm going over the javascript. I'm still fairly new to using AJAX methods in my javascript but what I was wondering is if this script could be modified to re-pull the XML document every so many seconds. Right now all it does is load it once and then loop through its contents indefinitely.

My goal: to create a page (news ticker) for use with an active desktop policy on all client machines without using scheduled refresh events for the desktop itself. Refreshing the desktop every so many minutes/seconds produces unwanted visuals especially when there are multiple windows open. It works, but just doesn't look good. So I'm wondering if AJAX methods would be a solution in this situation. Having a single page that refreshes it's own content (or XML data) so that there are little to no noticeable effects on the desktop.

I'm assuming I would be using a setTimeout function somewhere in this script... I just can't figure out where.

Here is the link to the original script: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/ajaxticker.htm