PDA

View Full Version : [DHTML & CSS] XMLMenu V 2.0

ricardogp
11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
1) CODE TITLE: XMLMenu V 2.0

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES: Ricardo Gonzalez

3) DESCRIPTION: New version of the easy to set, use and configure dropdown menu (horizontal and vertical) through an XML and CSS files, and few lines in your HTML page. Now is possible to create multiple sublevels in your menu. Works with I.E. 5.x or higher, and Opera 9.0.1

4) URL TO CODE: Code attached in the "XMLMenu v2.zip" file, and manual attached in "XMLMenu v2 - manual-en.zip" file.

blm126
11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
Things I liked.

Dark and blue color schemes are nice
Looks easy to configure
Requires an external file to load the structure

Things I didn't like

On the vertical version, the menu should probably drop down to the right.
The sub-menus need more separation
Requires an external file to load the structure

Requiring an External file to load the structure is both good and bad. It is good in static HTML site that would only have to update the menu once. It is bad in dynamic CMS based sites, as another file can be hard to produce.

ricardogp
11-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi Brady.

Thanks again for your comments.

About the schemes themes, the ZIP file has three well commented schemes files ("xmlmenu.css", "xmlmenu-blue.css" and "xmlmenu.dark.css"), but is possible to create your own schemes based in any of the previous files, to make your menu contains the color you want, also in the HTML demo page "xmlmenu-demo.html" is a javascript function named "loadXMLStyle(cssFilePath)" that let you load another CSS file. -this function is called when you click the "Load theme" button.

The XMLMenu also creates a menu from a XML text (in the page 9 of the PDF "XMLMenu v2 - manual-en" file, you may look the "List of functions to load the menu" from a file or a text variable), for example, in the "xmlmenu-demo.html" page, when you press the "Load XMLMenu from field" button, you're generating the menu from the text inside the TextArea that contains the XML menu definition document.

About the way of how the submenus open, It is an issue with the browser (in IE for vertical menus and the submenus for horizontal menus they open in the right side of the items). I'm working on it to solve this issue as fast as I can.

Thanks again for your comments.

Ricardo González

blm126
11-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh, I see, I only checked in Firefox(or maybe it was Opera).