PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop vs other graphics program

SuperTodd
11-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Does anyone use specific soft for making a banners or use PS???

Twey
11-18-2006, 04:49 PM
I use the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) for just about everything.

ItsMeOnly
11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
second, the gimp often proves more efficient than PS in doing simple tasks on complex material (like removing background, retouching, or just pulling images as layers).

http://alicja-sl.republika.pl/pictures/kuba-pan.png
30 mins of work, most of which was just scaling the components to fit the collage

djr33
11-20-2006, 08:05 AM
I could do that in 5 minutes in photoshop.
I'm not questioning/insulting you... graphics is my main thing.
Just noting that it's not the program, but the user.
I've never used GIMP and I think it's cool that it is free.... nice for those who can't afford photoshop.
I'm used to photoshop and I really like it.
I've also used paint shop pro... and I can do just about the same things in both, save for very specific things that each has that the other does not (but there's usually some workaround).

ItsMeOnly
11-21-2006, 04:11 PM
I could do that in 5 minutes in photoshop.
I'm not questioning/insulting you... graphics is my main thing.
Including scaling the layers? :)

Just noting that it's not the program, but the user.

In deed, it always comes as a matter of preferences (and what can you do with it)- and I'm definitely not saying that Photoshop is worse than GIMP (or vice versa), just for me it's somehow less comfortable

I've never used GIMP and I think it's cool that it is free.... nice for those who can't afford photoshop.

Actually in my case I even could, just it runs crappy under WinE :-D

I've also used paint shop pro... and I can do just about the same things in both, save for very specific things that each has that the other does not (but there's usually some workaround).
Amen, I've actually started with PSP (3 If I recall correctly, somehow I stopped working with it after 5)

Twey
11-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I think it's cool that [the GIMP] is free.... nice for those who can't afford photoshop.There's more than one definition (http://www.fsf.org/) of "free," and more than one reason someone would want to avoid using a non-Free or closed-source program, compatibility and wide availability being only two of the more pragmatic.

djr33
11-23-2006, 01:38 AM
I'm not disagreeing here.

Again, it's all about the user, and what works for them, then what they can do...

including scaling the layers?
Probably. Again, that's what I do.

nothing after PHP5
Yep. I haven't bothered updating. I like it.

GhettoT
11-26-2006, 01:03 AM
I use both Inkscape and GIMP. I use them both together so that i can get some cool effects. The only problem with Inkscape is that it saves files as a funky extension, so you have to export to GIMP then save as .png, .gif, etc...

Twey
11-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Er... Inkscape is meant to save SVGs. It's a vector graphics application. :p
There's an option to export as bitmap in the File menu.

rchainho
08-07-2007, 08:54 PM
or i'm blonde or i can't do that. i have gimp and it's too complicated to me.

Twey
08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
All professional-standard graphics programs are complicated. You might want to search for some tutorials.