PDA

View Full Version : here's one that baffles me.

Acey99
11-15-2006, 11:36 PM
anyone ever create a movable layer that when you move it over form element's in IE < 7 the element shows through your movable layer ?

Yet works like it's suppose to in all other browsers ?

how do you fix this ?

tech_support
11-16-2006, 06:29 AM
See this: http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2005/08/09/422047.aspx

Twey
11-16-2006, 06:20 PM
If it works OK in IE7, I wouldn't worry about it too much. IE7 has been released on Windows Update now, so I doubt that many IE<7 users will remain (save, of course, for IE5/Mac, which doesn't suffer from this problem insofar as I'm aware).

boxxertrumps
11-16-2006, 06:28 PM
i had this problem when i was using the visual infinite menus on my site and it was on top of the iframe but below the flash movie inside the iframe...

so i got rid of infinite menus and the iframe and put my menu off to the side instead.

but I Didn't Know the z index was limited in such ways...

Twey
11-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Theoretically, it shouldn't be. However, some browsers (notably IE/Win) draw certain elements (notably form controls) after everything else. <iframe>s and Flash movies are considered plugin content (<iframe>s use a new instance of the browser's rendering engine, and aren't considered a part of the page), and so this problem occurs with them in far more browsers.

mwinter
11-16-2006, 08:18 PM
If it works OK in IE7, I wouldn't worry about it too much. IE7 has been released on Windows Update now, so I doubt that many IE<7 users will remain

Sorry? IE 7 is only available to users of Windows XP SP2, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 SP1, and Windows Vista. That leaves a large number of users from previous operating systems and versions that couldn't upgrade to IE 7 even if they wanted to.

Mike

Twey
11-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Is that so? In that case, my error. However, there is no fix commonly known at the moment other than to hide the form elements when they shouldn't be visible.

Acey99
11-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Noted the point that IE 7 is out, but there are those who'll skip it (like me)
who my uninstall it (yea!) or who knows what (Win <= 98 won't run IE 7 last I checked) & what if you have this scenario:

say pIII running Win 98 with IE 5.5 & can't afford to upgrade your sys to anything that'll run Xp+ or IE 7 ??

what then? I've alienated alot of users & they won't like what they see.

I know, a disclaimer saying best viewed in FF.
oh wait, that pisses people off too.

I like the iFrame idea.

Twey
11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Yes, that's so. I made that statement under the assumption that IE7 was available for Win95 and upwards.