View Full Version : Netscape Problem with Advanced RSS Ticker

11-12-2006, 09:22 PM
1) Script Title: Advanced RSS Ticker (Ajax invocation)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsstickerajax/index.htm

3) Describe problem: I found this script to be extremely interesting and very usable for some website I have. I was amazed at how scalable and simple it was to implement in testing.

However, I ran into this problem when testing in Netscape 7 (NS7). Although the script performs flawlessly in IExplorer, I receive the following error caught in NS7:

"Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to call method XMLHttpRequest.open"

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have a solution or reason for this?

11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
NS7 is one of the browsers I don't have installed unfortunately. It's very much a dying breed though no?

11-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I have used Netscape Navigator 8.1.2 and not got any Javascript error as you mentioned in your posting.

But when I checked the problem mentioned I found that it is associated to the security of JavaScript.

Please checkout the following pages for more details.

JavaScript Security (http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XML_Extras)

XML Extras (http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XML_Extras)


11-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I use NS7 as a beginning step in testing Mozilla browsers. The error persists in both Firefox and Mozilla browsers. The fact that the error occurs in NS7 but does not occur in NS8 begs the issue and does not answer the fundamental question of "Why?".

The topic links were somewhat informative, but I found this in the table (mid-page) titled "XML Extras":

|=====Difference=====|==========Microsoft===========|======= Mozilla
|=Member names Creation=|=========Case insensitive?=========| Begins with lower case letter
|===XMLHttpRequest=====|=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")==| new XMLHttpRequest()

Note: The suggestion is that I use lower case for the function name, yet in the table there is clearly an upper case letter. If this is what the author implies, then why would the table be this way?

Since I am dealing with the World Wide Web, then I have no control over what browser is being used. That is NOT a good thing. Maybe someone could explain how to overcome these browser differences.

By the way, I have implemented this AJAX/XMLHttpRequest() technology on many occasions and have never experienced this before. This leads me to believe that there is a flaw in this script. It's fantastic for RSS feeds and I would love to use it, but I can't see what the problem is.

11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I thank the two responders for their help.

I solved the problem and learned something on my own as well.

I had the PHP script on the server, but had the javascript code local on my machine along with the HTML files. In testing in IExplorer, it all looked good. However when using Mozilla based browsers, I needed to have the javascript code on the server as well. Then and only then was I able to test the Mozilla browsers. I don't know why (guess it doesn't matter) but it seems to be OK. I hope this may help someone else.

By the way, this was something I encountered two years ago. I just "re-learned" the lesson.