PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with RSSPauseScroller



jwadew
11-12-2006, 05:00 AM
1) Script Title: RSSPauseScroller

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/

3) Describe problem:

Everything works ok on localhost. But when I copy up to my server, I get the "Error: Can't find requested RSS in list. I give up trying to fetch RSS feed." message. I'm pretty sure I copied everything ok, and the permissions look ok.

Is there any common known setting somewhere that people run into?
any ideas?

ddadmin
11-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic script so we can check it out.

jwadew
11-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks for your offer to look at this .....

And WOW, what a great piece of work. I really appreciate the scripts!

The test area on the server is:

http://www.LAWDesignGraphics.com/VWGS/


The lines I altered in scrollerbridge.php:


$rsslist=array(
"cnn" => "http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_topstories.rss",
"Women's eNews" => "http://www.womensenews.org/womensenewsrss.xml",
"Blog" => "http://ourbodiesourblog.org/atom.xml",
);


You'll see that I currently have the rsspausescroller call set to view the CNN feed, just so you can see how it reacts to a feed known by you.

This was all working perfectly on my desktop machine, under localhost. Once I copied it up to my server (the above link), the feed does not work. I am thinking it's some setting on my server, but don't know what that might be. I'm sure it's something simple I'm overlooking.

Any ideas appreciated!

jwadew
11-12-2006, 05:59 PM
One thought was permissions. You would need write permissions on the cache directory of course. So in my local testing (not the server URL in the above post), I put a dir above the root of the web server, gave the internet user read/write permissions, and set that path in scrollerbridge.php, relative to scrollerbridge.php (the lastrss dir).

However, interstingly, while experimenting, that directory doesn't even need to exist. The cache directory doesn't seem to need to exist for the RSS content to be fetched and displayed.

Is there some other dir that needs write permissions maybe?

ddadmin
11-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Hmm there's definitely something strange going on with your server's PHP configuation. The first step to debugging this script is always to try and see if the script can retrieve the RSS feed directly, by entering the URL:

http://www.lawdesigngraphics.com/VWGS/lastrss/scrollerbridge.php?id=cnn

in your browser. In this case, it returns an error I've never seen before:

"CGI Error The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers."

Moving on, calling scrollbridge.php directly (without parameters) should trigger the script to return the custom error "cannot locate RSS feed in list". However, in your case, it actually spits out portions of HTML as well:

"http://www.lawdesigngraphics.com/VWGS/lastrss/scrollerbridge.php

Do you know if your server has PHP configured in some manner that's different from the default?

jwadew
11-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Yes, that is possible.

I installed php for, and the only current use is for, PHPBBS. Unfortunately, I'm not so adept at PHP.

ddadmin
11-12-2006, 06:22 PM
I reckon you don't have access to another server with PHP support that you can test this script out? As a side note, you can run this script on one server and display the feeds on another.

jwadew
11-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I do have access to another PHP server, and it works fine there. However, that one is not my server, so I really couldn't put anything there to pull from.

I'm checking on some other forums about that specific PHP error message. Maybe someone will know something there. Thanks for your help thus far.

jwadew
11-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Well, I'm not getting any opinions on the other forums as yet. I'm still open to ideas, because I want to get the scroller script working on that particular server for future sites.

However, I did, for now, link this site in question to another server, and that works great!!!!

That solves my immediate problem, because this was just the development server. This particular site will be moved to the client's server, and I assum their PHP is working in good order.

Thanks for the suggestion!
And above all ..... thanks for the excellent scroller !!! nice work!