PDA

View Full Version : How to add Ult. fade-in slideshow to slice

HyeAspet
11-11-2006, 06:53 PM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: Adding this slideshow in place of a slice.

I made a webpage from a sliced image. I want to add a slideshow in place of a particular slice in the image. Can this be done? If so, can someone tell me how to do it?
I only need one slideshow (not two, as depicted)

Thank you in advance!

jscheuer1
11-11-2006, 07:52 PM
For only one slide show, use only one call. Here are the two calls from the demo page:

new fadeshow(fadeimages, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 1, "R")
new fadeshow(fadeimages2, 140, 225, 0, 3000, 0)

Now, about inserting this into an image sliced layout. It depends upon how that layout is structured. I've seen a few of these and am not real thrilled with the concept. However, the most common ones use a table with images in the cells. If that is the kind you have, you could replace an image in one of the cells with a slideshow of the same dimensions.

HyeAspet
11-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Works like a charm. Thank you for the help!
I'll post the site when im done!

I don't know why you would'nt prefer it in slices. It looks great.

jscheuer1
11-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't know why you would'nt prefer it in slices. It looks great.

Well, I have to agree with you there, as long as the image(s) look OK to begin with. I have seen some hideous looking sliced pages though. Also, consider these points:

What if a user is blind and/or has a text reading browser?

What if the user has images disabled for faster surfing using dial up?

Once you create one of these sliced layouts, it becomes difficult to make any but the most simple sorts of changes without creating a whole new layout.

The overall dimensions of the layout are fixed. It cannot adapt to different window/screen sizes on the user's end.

In all cases, a sliced page will take longer to load and use more bandwidth than an equivalent sort of page that is not sliced, that uses text wherever possible. This is especially true if the individual images haven't been optimized (often a tedious task for sliced layouts) and especially critical for dial up and any other low bandwidth user.

belicson
01-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Hello,

I'm currently using Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v2.1) on the main page of www.mike-ewing.com (http://www.mike-ewing.com). This page consists of Photoshop slices in which one slice contains the slideshow.

It's working very well except that when you click on the browser Maximize/Restore Down button in the upper right, the slice containing the slideshow goes out of vertical alignment with the other slices.

As all slices are contained within a fixed-height/fixed-width table and do not otherwise go out of alignment on maximize/restore down except when the slideshow is present in one of them, I think this problem has something to do with a line or two in fadeslideshow.js (perhaps relating to relative vs. absolute?). However, I haven't been able to discover the exact source of the problem.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

belicson
02-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Well, I think I've found the solution.

Previously, I was centering the page content by simply having a table of 100% width/100% height, using simple HTML align and valign. The content, including the Photoshop slideshow frame were inside. The positioning methods used in fadeslideshow.js were not compatible with my centering method.

So, I implemented a different CSS centering method and it's working very well on www.mike-ewing.com (http://www.mike-ewing.com):

#centerDiv {
position:absolute;
top: 50%;
left: 50%;
width:65em;
height:50em;
margin-top: -25em;
margin-left: -32em;
}