PDA

View Full Version : Menu options which indicate updates

bobvaz
11-08-2006, 03:21 PM
A newbie (old mainframe and mid-range pogrammer) needing some help. I have developed some pages which share a menu bar java script file which is a cascading menu. As tradition dictates, a mouseover on the top level shows the options on the sub-level. Each sub level option is an href to a new page, which displays the same menu. What my client would like to have done is
1. blink or otherwise highlight the top level tag indicating a sub level option has changed in the last 48 hours and
2. place an icon of some sort on the sub level option that has changed.
I am thinking that this needs to be in the menu.js file, but I do not know how to look at the page to determine if they have changed. I can use the date function to determine days difference but do not know how to get the date the file was modified. This may be a simple task and I apologize for my ignorance however any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Twey
11-08-2006, 03:54 PM
It essentially needs to be done on the server-side. It may be possible to hack it together using document.lastModifed and an iframe or even XMLHttpRequest if your server sends the right headers, but this will be inefficient and unreliable. It's a much better idea to use the server.

bobvaz
11-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I have php available, but I am a rookie. I can now get the last modified date of each page, determine how old it is in days and change the menu tab accordingly......I would also like to list the page as a link ie

<a href="about.html">About Us </a> was updated (display date) or

0-2 Days Old 3-7 Days Old
About us Contact Us