PDA

View Full Version : Automated batch processing of images

John@Kapoo
11-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi all.

I have a problem that has been racking my brains for some time now and several hours of Google searching later and still nothing that meets the requirement.

Current situation; Importing/Rasterising images from PDFs into Photoshop, renaming and saving out into a specified folder.

What would be good was to have this process automated so that...

Images from 001.pdf are saved out to folder 001 as .bmp files and to be renamed individually as... page001_img1, page001_img2 etc..etc...

Any suggestion at all would be muchly appreciated!

djr33
11-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Well, I did something quite similar with PHP recently (though the image needs to start in the format of JPG, GIF, or PNG [bmp/raw might be supported, but I'm not sure how to use it. It isn't a default]).
However, in rendering about 600 thumbnails from 900mb of photos, it actuallly crashed the server from so much processing.
Might not be the best solution.
But... if you're interested, it is nice to use the PHP GD library which allows, in short, PHP manipulation and output of images.

As for Photoshop, I suggest using actions.

Open the action tab, which should be next to history. If not, go to view and find actions, or whatever those menus say.
In that, make a new action.
Setting a F-key (like F1, F2, etc.) helps make it go even faster.
Then record.
You can save almost all commands into it.
This could mean you could:
1. Open the image
2. Run the action which would
--resize
--open save dialogue for you
3. save as desired name in folder of your choice

Definitely saves some time and creative use of actions can be great.

jscheuer1
11-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi all.

I have a problem that has been racking my brains for some time now and several hours of Google searching later and still nothing that meets the requirement.

Current situation; Importing/Rasterising images from PDFs into Photoshop, renaming and saving out into a specified folder.

What would be good was to have this process automated so that...

Images from 001.pdf are saved out to folder 001 as .bmp files and to be renamed individually as... page001_img1, page001_img2 etc..etc...

Any suggestion at all would be muchly appreciated!

This type of job seems well suited to a batch file and a few key image/PDF processing utilities that will accept command line parameters. Often a program like Photoshop can accept these parameters but, if it cannot, a suitable utility or program that does probably can be found.

djr33
11-06-2006, 08:02 AM
John, I don't think that, assuming PS cannot handle batch functions, that will help much since the format of the image must be converted.
Aside from that it would work great.