PDA

View Full Version : Converting Fla into animated Gif File.

deepakdeep
10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
I want to design a banner in flash but when i try to save it as gif the file lose the color quality how to get rid of this.
pls explain me the proper way of converting.

djr33
10-31-2006, 11:14 AM
While I'm not sure about your specific image file, the problem likely has no solution.

the GIF format (GIF89A specifically) allows for animation. Other image types don't. (PNG has some support, but it isn't very compatible so not sure using.)

The GIF file format also ONLY allows for 256-colors per image. The colors are of a user-defined pallette, so that could be a variety--yellow, green, blue, red..... or just subtle shades of one color--red, slightly darker red, slightly more dark red... etc.
However, there can only be 256 per image. (You can also have less. If it is just a black and white image (not black white and shades of grey), then you can just use 2 colors, for example, which would save space in the file.)

The suggestion I can give you is about resampling. That is the process by which the graphics program converts from more than 256-colors to the gif format. In doing so, colors are changed to fit into the limits of the new pallette, so choices need to be made. Generally programs offer several ways of doing this:
1. "closest-to"
2. "dithering"
Dithering is the process of blending colors to create a new overall color close to the original. For example if you had no orange in your image, it could take seperate yellow and red pixels and place them in a pattern near each other to create the illusion of orange. It usually looks bad, but might be the right solution. This is similar to both computer screen pixels represent colors and how old newspaper images or comics print lots of little dots to similate grey, etc.
Closest to avoids dithering, which can, at times, look messy, and simply chooses, pixel by pixel, the color in the new pallette that is closest to the original.
Dithering keeps more detail and is in most ways closer to the original image, but it also makes things messy.

By adding animation to the issue, it gets even more complex. There are 256 colors per image--NOT per frame. As such, if the frames vary significantly, even two totally different frames would mean 128 colors for each. 4 significantly different frames and 64 colors for each. Of course this assumes no colors overlap between frames, though. It would apply in the case of a slideshow type GIF, etc.

Generally, gifs are really bad for photos since they take millions of colors down to 256, and also really bad for anything with fades from one color to the next. They are generally good for graphics/designs that are fairly simple and don't contain lots of fades between colors or too many colors to be represented.

So... to conclude a post that is probably longer than needed, it is likely just the restrictions of the format. Look at how the color is resampled-- play with dithering and "closest-to".
That's really about all there is to do.

This is a main reason for the use of flash. Generally, I avoid flash whenever possible, but with complex graphics (or lots of user interactivity) like animation or layering effects, etc., sometimes the best solution is to just stick with flash.

If you want specific info, link to your image.