PDA

View Full Version : Movies into Flash

chechu
10-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Movies are too heavy to place on the web like .mwv
How can I lower the kB, so they are easy to view ? Do they have to be transformed into Flash ? How does that work ?

mtran
11-01-2006, 12:08 AM
If you want to embed video in flash, you probably need to convert your video into flash video [.FLV file].

Flash 8 can do it very good. Just go to file/ import and it'll guide you through including how big you want your movie to be. If you have MX2004, you may need to download an extra plug-in called video exporter or video coder or something like that from Adobe. MX doesn't support movie.

tech_support
11-01-2006, 04:39 AM
How can I lower the kB, so they are easy to view ?

Use a video compression software.

Do they have to be transformed into Flash ?

No.

How does that work ?

As mtran said, you need to embed the video into Flash.

djr33
11-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Flash isn't gonna fix anything.

Flash will just make the user ALSO need the flash plugin, not make download times faster.

You can recompress without the use of flash and just have another, smaller QT movie.

The elements that make up file size are:
--length of the clip
--dimensions of the clip
--compression.... = quality
--codec (compressor/decompressor)*

*The codec is the most important here. If you use a codec that does a really good job of compressing, then you will have a lower file size and better image than using a worse codec. However, the tradeoff is usually compatibility. The better codecs are usually newer, or perhaps not compatible with all systems. (for example, DivX is fairly compatible now and pretty good at compression/quality, but it used to be very hard to make work on any system other than windows. This isn't QT though, and I'd prefer a QT codec anyway, just giving an example.)
I'd suggest Sorenson3 as a VERY compatible codec and good size to quality ratio.
Several are better, like mpeg4, but they are less compatible.
It's a tradeoff...

Note: The reason that flash movies are generally so small is that they use vector graphics. Vector graphics are NOT pixels. They are actually code describing how the program should draw the image. They specific shapes and angles and sizes etc., and they have some advantages to bitmap (pixel) graphics, as well as some disadvantages:
Good:
They are usually smaller as they are code, not pixel-by-pixel space intensive data.
They can be enlarged infinitely with NO quality loss (except detail). Even zoomed WAY in, a curve will still be a curve, not blocky.
They are easily manipulated in flash (for example), and are easy to animate. It's more like working with objects than just pixels.
Bad:
Since each aspect of the image must be a seperate piece described in code, vector graphics are never as detailed/accurate as pixels would be.
Likewise, bitmap graphics cannot be transformed into vector graphics (except by doing so manually, which would be a LOT of work) since they are made up of little dots of color and detail that represent an image as a whole, not individual, seperate parts.

Due to this, a QT movie in flash is just that.... flash playing a QT movie. In fact, embedding it will just add the additional data of the flash file itself and the instructions to play the file in ADDITION to the original size of the QT movie, which to get the same quality, would be the same size.
And, if you're up for some quality loss, then you can do this, as I said above, without flash, in a new, compressed QT movie.

EDIT: Note: I just said QT... quicktime. I thought you were talking about that as that's what I know about embedding into flash. I don't even know if flash supports .wmv files, though you can convert (look for a video editor to do this, such as the free program "zwei-stein" available from the company Thugs at Bay [no clue about the strange name]).
Anyway, all the information above applies to any format of video.
Note that .wmv is especially bad because linux and mac users don't, by default, have windows media player, and it can be a pain to install it.
QT is usually the most compatible. DivX as I mentioned above is becoming popular and reasonably compatible as well.
If you must use a windows format, then use AVI which is very similar to WMV, but a bit more compatible...

chechu
11-01-2006, 03:21 PM
So I need special software to lower the weight of a movie ? Where can I find it online ? Free trials ?

BLiZZaRD
11-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13075) for links and more info.

chechu
11-01-2006, 09:00 PM
How can I place a .mwv without the border or toolbar ? So just the movie itself ?

BLiZZaRD
11-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Dunno. mwv is not FLV. You can ask that in the "other" thread, someone might know.

djr33
11-02-2006, 04:29 AM
When embedding the file, you usually are stuck with whatever the player offers.
I know what with Quicktime, setting a height of [height of the movie]+16 pixels is right, so that you have space for the playbar below. However, if you JUST use the height of the movie, then you get the playbar hidden.

Something similar might work with windows media player.

The obviously and really stupid problem here is that you don't have controls for the movie. That's.... bad.

chechu
11-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Gracias ! Que bueno que entiendo el castellano ! Intente de poner enlaces al inglés, porfa, sino los yanquis se sientan excluidos !

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 01:49 AM
de nada :D

djr33
12-01-2006, 04:44 AM
What's funny is that the Univerity of California claims I can speak spanish, according to a test I took. How wrong they are.
I can get about half of that, and that's just 'cause I'm great with logic and context... not that I really know it. heh.

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 06:09 AM
I am not sure why (perhaps they know each other?) but the link in the post previous the Spanish one was linked to a Spanish page.

I, as well can accordingly speak Spanish and German, but I think I recall about 9 words total from both languages. LOL

I just thought it was a funny retort to the spanish linking.

djr33
12-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I know two words in Germen... Deutch (which may not even be spelled correctly) and nien.... nein? Meh :p

I know a bit more spanish than that :p

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Rotf :d

chechu
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Guys, face it: English speaking people are not the best in other languages ...
I do not know who the other person is, but as the link was in Spanish, I just replied in Spanish ...

I'm Flemish (part of Belgium), what forced me to learn four languages through normal education, as there are four spoken languages in Belgium (Flemish, Dutch, French, German - tbd if Flemish and Dutch are actually really different - to me they are). Then you learn English because they can't speak anything else and otherwise songs would sound ridiculous (leasy asses). And as my wife, aka chechu, is Argentinian and I lived several years in Spain, I got that lingo too.

Who beats me ? (funny to show of to people you'll never meet ...)

Hey, is this a serious forum with brain nerds or what ?

chechu
12-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Actually, that's exactly what I was telling the lady: put your links to English pages, please, otherwise the Yanquis (Americans) will feel excluded.
Intente de poner enlaces al inglés, porfa, sino los yanquis se sientan excluidos

BLiZZaRD
12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
LMAO... we aren't lazy.. we are inept. We have tried other languages, and can't. (how can they mock us this way? :D)

In actuality, I know Spanish pretty well, and German too. Learned Japanese for a while and also Welsh, Pacific Islander, and it's slang (pidgeon). I just don't use them at all, I don't travel outside the US, and I don't go to school any more. Use it or lose it they say. :D

chechu
12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
That's the thing: if you have an international job in Europe, you need at least three languages. In the US all understand eachother perfectly.

But anyway, they are usefull (jobwise and to get that local chick on holiday) but not necessary...

BLiZZaRD
12-02-2006, 08:01 AM
I get that local chick on holiday cause I DON'T talk.. it's when I open my mouth, English or otherwise they run away.... ROTF

Prolly shouldn't start my conversations with something like:

"Hey, you're pretty attractive and I coudn't help notice you over here so I had to come ask.. PHP and MySQL or JavaScript and ASP?"

chechu
12-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Just looking at your picture, I bet you can talk about other stuff as well...
Anyway, in whatever way you wish: go get them !

killerchutney
02-02-2007, 06:38 PM
If you need a flv player that only shows video, no video controls, you could use this: http://www.killerchutney.co.uk/files/flvplayer.swf
you dont need to have flash either, just insert this code into a page:

<embed src="http://www.killerchutney.co.uk/files/flvplayer.swf" width="###YOUR CHOSEN VIDEO WIDTH###" height="###VIDEO HEIGHT###" flashvars="file=###URL OF FLV FILE###&showdigits=true&showicons=true&autostart=true&showfsbutton=false&repeat=false"/>

(dont bother downloading the file, just use the one I hosted)