PDA

View Full Version : Iframe linking problems?

Keanu
10-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Hey,
Im making a website for a friends band, and im using Macromedia... "Adobe?" Dreamweaver 8. And basicly, iv got a flash navigation bar, So...

I get this lil script here under "File":

basetab2x_vl.swf?tarframe=_self&exbackground=292929&makenavfield0=Home&makenavurl0=index.html&makenavfield1=About Us&makenavurl1=about.html&makenavfield2=Bands&makenavurl2=bands.html&makenavfield3=Directions&makenavurl3=dir.html&makenavfield4=Tickets&makenavurl4=tick.html&m akenavfield5=Sponsers&makenavurl5=sponsers.html&makenavfield6=Contact Us&makenavurl6=contact.html

Okay, so what iv got is a iFrame in the middle of the site, and what I want to happen is,
insted of the page refreshing every single time, I want the page to load up in the iFrame.
So whenever someone clicks a link, the content goes directly into the iFrame insted of refreshing the page.

Iv tried a few things that I thought would work, such as...

tarframe=_<iframe#testframe>

tarframe=_iframe

As you can see, im not really a Html master, infact.. I know very little about HTML.. So id greatly apreciate help on this!

Thank you very much for taking time to read this!

-Keanu
p.s. Is it possible that you can tell me a way to do it via normal links too? (Text links) - Thanks!
p.s.s I was told that I posted in the wrong category. Sorry. Here it is in the correct one? I think?

BLiZZaRD
10-29-2006, 07:26 PM
http://www.hypergurl.com/frames.html

All you need to know about **shudder** Frames.

You could of course NOT use frames, which would please everyone :D

Keanu
10-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Do you know anything else that would do the job?
And, Thanks. But this is no use to me? Im using iFrames?

-Keanu

BLiZZaRD
10-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Same difference really.

An Iframe is coding that allows you to have a floating frame somewhere in the middle of your page. In frames, you have one HTML document that has the coding only to open several other documents. But with iframes, you have an html document with content that also has a frame in it.

i/Frames have MANY cons to their use, iframes inparticular (and for YOU specifically):

With Iframes, you can’t open links in your primary window in your Iframe. If you put a link in the Iframe it will only open in the Iframe. The best use is to display links is to have those links open up in a new window. This is done setting the target within the link as target=”_new” as in <a href="link.html" target="_new">THIS IS THE LINK</a>.

Alternatives? Headers. Put your nav bar in a header and then have the links go to a new HTML pages with each HTML page having the same header. - Among many others.

Keanu
10-30-2006, 05:06 PM
So their isn't anyway to link a flash to a iFrame? Damn... I can't put my website in headers either.. Its all in a giant... "Thing" xD Frame.. But the reason I used an iFrame, is because I thought I could link to them? Because I have a Mp3 player on the site, and it will keep stopping the song, but I can't put any of it in headers, or the WHOLE layout will go agian...

Are you sure their is no possible way?...

Thanks for your help BLiZZaRD.
-Keanu

BLiZZaRD
10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Sure, there are lots of ways, just not with your current layout.

pop ups, headers, frames, blah blah blah... all of which annoy people.

You could make 2 pages, one with mp3, one without, and let the visitor choose, instead of forcing it on them...

use the getURL and add the frames tags to the condition.

Keanu
10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Hmm? But no way just to send links directly to the iFrame? :( If you find a way, can you please help me through it?....

Or if you find a way like it.. Can you help me through it too?...

Thanks in advance,
And thanks for all your help BLiZZaRD!

-Keanu

Keanu
11-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Bump? Sorry for the double post.. But I really need a reply?

-Keanu

eday_2010
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Is this what you want it to do?

www.wnstudios.ca/test/index.html (http://www.wnstudios.ca/test/index.html)

The menu is Flash and all the content opens in the iFrame in the middle of the page.

Keanu
11-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes!!! EXACTLY THAT! Does the flash menu's items open into the I-Frame too?!

Hopefully so!!!!

Reply soon!!
-Keanu

BLiZZaRD
11-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Yes, as I stated above you can do this, although the use of i/frames isn't the wisest way to go.

However, you will not (as of yet) be able to control a Flash movie in a frame with a Flash movie in another frame.

eday_2010
11-09-2006, 06:17 PM
To get links in your flash mocie to open in a specified iFrame, name your iFrame (name="content" or something like that). Then in your Flash movie, for the script of each button, use somthing like this:

on (release)
{
getURL("document.html", "content");
}

"document.html" is the name of the page you want to link to, and "content" is the what tells Flash where to open the page; in this case it's the iFrame named "content".

Simple as that!

Keanu
11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey!

Sorry if I didn't say it clear BLiZZaRD.

@eday_2010
IT WORKED! IT WORKEDDD!! -jumps around like a little kid then straightens tie- :) :) :) Not very professional eh? :D

Thank you so much for both of your help! And I hope other people who have had the same problem as me, find this. And it works for them.

Once agian, thank you very much BLiZZaRD, you have been a brilliant help!
And thank you too Eday!!

-Keanu

BLiZZaRD
11-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Great! Keep an eye out as I am working on a very secret coding process that will upend Flash forever!

Okay not really, but I am attempting to write a code in Flash that will enable the ability to control Flash movies accross Frames.

Meaning you can have an MP3 player in one frame and its play/pause/stop/etc buttons in another, or many other uses. Since this isn't a desing of Flash I am having to write counteractive codes to get it to work.

Right now I have the layout and the design, its also down to 5 small errors. I will crack it eventually, and when I do I will post about it. :D

eday_2010
11-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I am glad it worked for you. When I had started out redesgning my site, I had forgotten how exactly to do what you and I needed since I hadn't used frames in 4 or 6 years. However, a bit of digging in the Flash help got my answer for me.

I am alsmost finished my site, which has been a tedious pain. Once it is done, I will be trying to get rid of all the tables to replace them with divs. That won't be easy; that's how I wanted it originally, but it wasnt working in IE and Firefox :P