PDA

View Full Version : HV Menu redirection to a single source?

MPennington
01-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Howdy folks!

I have inherited the support for the company's Intranet sites, and it uses the HV Menu scripts for a top of page site menu.

The problem is, that every time I have to add/remove links from it, I have to do it in EVERY site, since they all refer to their own copies of the JS files.

My question is this: is there a way to over-write the exmplmenu_var.js and menu_com.js with references to a centrally located SINGLE copy of them? That way I change them in one place and it would change it in all of them (as opposed to changing every single page or every single copy of the .JS files)

This may be a simple JS thing, but I am relatively new to this...hope it makes sense!

Thanks!!

- Matt

cr3ative
01-18-2005, 09:45 PM
The standard response I would give would be to link absolutely:

Instead of menu_com.js, use http://www.yourhost.com/scriptfolder/menu_com.js.

However, HV Menu has been known to have compatibility issues with this approach in certain cases. See if it works for you, and report back :)

cr3ative

MPennington
01-19-2005, 02:05 PM
I had a feeling that was going to be the answer...

so there's no way to avoid having to re-write the reference to the JS on EVERY page? No way to create a "redirection" from one JS to another?

<fingers crossed>

Thanks!

-Matt

Minos
01-20-2005, 05:05 AM
? perhaps I'm reaally confused, here...but the HV menu is constructed of 2 external files...simply uploading those files to your webspace, and then in each .html having the <script src> tags would be enough? Make a change in the .js, upload it again, and all would change?

Maybe I'm missing something?