PDA

View Full Version : rebuild option menu with DOM on IE fails

scrapmetalca
10-18-2006, 04:20 PM
I have the following code which replaces the contents of an option menu. It works fine on FireFox, but the new entries don't seem to appear on IE. The old ones go away, so I suspect the where I add the new option is failing. According to the docs, if I get a valid value back from the x.appendChild() call then the item was added. I do get that item back, but nothing in the menu.

Any ideas?

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function changeText()
{
var x=document.getElementById("mySelect")
x.length=0;
var option = document.createElement("option");
option.text="Orange";
var child = x.appendChild(option);
}
</script>
</head>

<body>
<form>
Select your favorite fruit:
<select id="mySelect">
<option>Pineapple</option>
<option>Banana</option>
</select>
<br /><br />
<input type="button" onclick="changeText()" value="Change options">
</form>
</body>

</html>

mwinter
10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I have the following code which replaces the contents of an option menu. It works fine on FireFox, but the new entries don't seem to appear on IE.

The option elements are added, but the text for them is not.

function changeText()
{
var x=document.getElementById("mySelect")

Using the forms and elements collections to reference form elements and form controls is supported across more browsers. However, if a function is called as a result of interaction with a form or form control, then even they shouldn't be necessary.

The posted code can be altered such that a reference to the form is passed to the changeText function:

<input type="button" ... onclick="changeText(this.form);">

In this event listener, the this operator refers to the form control, and form controls have a form property that refers to the containing form (assuming one exists). From that reference, you can retrieve other form controls:

function changeText(form) {
/* e.g.: form.elements.mySelect */

If several controls will be referenced, the member expression can be shortened a little:

function changeText(form) {
var controls = form.elements;

/* controls.mySelect */

x.length=0;

Historically, the length property of the select element itself was read-only. For backwards-compatibility, it's a better idea to manipulate the options through the options collection, only.

var option = document.createElement("option");

Further compatibility is also achieved using the "DOM 0" Option constructor function. However, if one is to employ feature detection, and a fallback is in place for unscriptable browsers, then that's less of a concern.

option.text="Orange";

The problem you're facing is here. Adding text via the text property isn't supported properly in MSIE. Instead, one must create a text node (using the createTextNode method of the document object) and append that to the option element.

Mike

scrapmetalca
10-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks - that worked. Apparently the FireFox version of DOM adds in the textElement without needing to create it yourself.