PDA

View Full Version : Style Switcher (v1.1)

BillyG
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM
1) Script Title:
styleswitch.js
2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/stylesheetswitcher.htm
3) Describe problem:
Even though I added an 'action' attribute for the dropdown form because it was missing, I am still getting a Tidy error from my FF statusbar saying 'invalid HTML chars', but none are highlighted.

I didn't use the auto-select script, and even though the form displays, different selections never change the display.

I see yours is working so obviously I missed something, but I haven't found it yet. Here is my site http://tinyurl.com/ygjd69 if you see something wrong, I would really appreciate it. TIA.

BillyG
10-16-2006, 05:15 PM
I just forgot to create the 2 new css files lol, DOH!

I am still getting the blue triangle error displayed in my statusbar from the Firefox Tidy extension whne it used to be a green check mark for 100% validation. Any ideas? TIA

mwinter
10-16-2006, 11:41 PM
I am still getting a Tidy error from my FF statusbar saying 'invalid HTML chars', but none are highlighted.

It seems to me that the copyright symbol in the notice isn't encoded properly. The meta element earlier in the document (you really should remove that and use HTTP to communicate the content type and character encoding) states that the document uses UTF-8, but that character is encoded as if it were ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1). I assume that your editor didn't save the document correctly.

Mike

BillyG
10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
What did you use to point to the copyright symbol as being the error?

True, I relied on Tidy to tell me, and didn't do a manual W3C validation, but I assumed...

I wound up retyping the script dsiclaimer comment and now I'm back to 100%. If you could tell me what tool you used for that discovery, I'll be sure to use it for now on.

Thanks for your reply.

Oh yeah, cool script! I've always wondered if there was a way for this to be done. Now I can go and rearrange the layout, which is more than the minimal change I have in place right now which just changes the background color. Not enough hours... Thanks.

BillyG
10-19-2006, 02:52 AM
unbelievable, another dead forum for the net

mwinter
10-19-2006, 01:33 PM
What did you use to point to the copyright symbol as being the error?

View source, in Firefox. :) The copyright symbol was clearly displayed incorrectly (a black diamond containing a white question mark).

There probably are tools that check for correct encoding, but none come to mind - I've never needed one. I know that the W3C Validator notes encoding errors, though it only mentions the line (at least in a quick test). However, that would narrow things down a lot, and viewing the rendered document should make the problem obvious. In this case, you might have had to copy that line into the document proper as content.

unbelievable, another dead forum for the net

Try a little more patience in future, please.

Mike