PDA

View Full Version : Google Hybrid

VatsaL
10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
hey all,

I made Google Hybrid using javascript for searching through many engines at once.
Should I encourage use of javascripts on thee kind of pages, or should I not?
Also, I need your views about the page; wether is it really crap, or relatively good.. or should I need to put anything more to make the perfect homepage, or should I need to remove anything.

the page ishttp://labs.50webs.com

thanks!

vatsal

Eclyps19
10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
It's a good idea indeed. I think of dogpile.com when i see this. I do like dogpile better than yours though, since it has a little from each engine on one page. Maybe this is something you could look into? Yours is still very very buggy. None of the buttons say anything, when i mouse over the first google button it clears my text field, when i hit enter, it pulls up the first page (like the 'feeling lucky' button for google), overlapping text, etc. Does it look fine on your computer? What browser are you using? I'm using firefox.

mwinter
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Yours is still very very buggy. None of the buttons say anything, when i mouse over the first google button it clears my text field, when i hit enter, it pulls up the first page (like the 'feeling lucky' button for google), overlapping text, etc. Does it look fine on your computer? What browser are you using? I'm using firefox.

That covers many of my criticisms, but there are a few more.

The document contains presentational markup, which is bad enough, but using a Strict document type makes it a little worse. Some of the form elements have duplicated name attribute values which is wrong: the name attribute there (though not on form controls, of course) is a poor man's id attribute and must be unique. There are style attributes everywhere (rather than placing the declarations in a style sheet), br elements are used for vertical separation rather than margins, and the length values are omitting their required units.

<INPUT type=reset value=" " ... onMouseover="javascript:form.reset()">

This is bad for a few reasons. The control should have a label (as Eclyps19 wrote), and the mouseover is stupid. Moreover, the "javascript:" portion is just a label and pointless, and the identifier, form, may not be in the scope chain. One should really use "this.form".

A final criticism is that where font sizes are set (or an attempt is made at it), the units are either in pixels or points. Neither is appropriate - particularly the latter, which is aimed at print media. Use percentages, with values no lower than around 85% of the browser default.

There are legal issues here, too. The name, Google, is a registered trademark, and GoogleHybrid is arguably an infringement upon that. Similarly, the Google logo will be copyrighted, and creating a derivative work is surely a violation of that protection. Finally, most search engines place terms on how their services may be used by third parties, and it's possible that you violate that. I strongly suggest that you seek permission, first, from all parties involved otherwise you might end up with a rather nasty cease-and-desist letter.

Mike

djr33
10-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Interesting. I like the concept. And the design looks alright.
However, there's a serious layout problem in firefox. The text instructions overlap the search field/buttons (and the buttons are blank as said above).

lainlives
10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
i think it is neat its a little like web ferret without xtra software

mickey131
10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
all you have done is made a page were they click onto another page
it goes on the google or other search engine page not your own all it is a link but made look better

VatsaL
10-29-2006, 11:55 PM
all you have done is made a page were they click onto another page
it goes on the google or other search engine page not your own all it is a link but made look better
Thankyou for pointing it out, I did not know that. It was a great mystery till now, there were many debates on the topic and no-one actually could come to a conclusion of what it actually was. However, a true genius like you has finally told us all what it actually is.. How can I ever repay you ..thank you very very much for telling me that.