PDA

View Full Version : need your views on this

VatsaL
10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
hey all,

I made this page using javascript for searching through many engines at once.
Should I encourage use of javascripts on thee kind of pages, or should I not?
Also, I need your views about the page; wether is it really crap, or relatively good.. or should I need to put anything more to make the perfect homepage, or should I need to remove anything.

the page ishttp://labs.50webs.com

thanks!

vatsal

Twey
10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Screws up painfully in Firefox. Also, isn't the Google logo copyrighted?

DimX
10-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Umm, VatsaL, what about that other thread... (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14003)

tech_support
10-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Screws up painfully in Firefox.

And IE7.

djr33
10-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Don't post twice. You already asked this. We told you... the formatting is way off, and you should go about it having all the results on the same page, AND copyright is an issue.
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57494

tech_support
10-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Yep. Don't make Google come knocking on your door. They won't give a friendly look.

VatsaL
10-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Sorry about the posting twice thing, there s some arror on my comp sometimes I press buttons, IE says "A problem has occured and the page has to close" so I thought of reposting it..

All I set out to make was a simple homepage design, that would be useful to me and others.

Till now, I had google as my homepage, and so was accustomised with the bright and colourful "Google" logo, ill prolly change it now.

I thought when we build or use google search on our website, we were supposed to include a "google" logo,
but I suppose that dasent apply for modifying and using it with another name!
I'll have to make another one..

I have browsed through many custom-made homepage designs, but I was looking for a diferent type of concept; something that hadnt been done before.

So I came up with those reset-field buttons, and after fourdays playing with the script, I made them to mouseover reset.

It was just because sometimes I get tired of selecting the text and deleting the whole thing over and over again.

About the blankness of the button, I had a "C" written on it, but I liked the blanlk silver colour look it had in XP.

There was one more tab design initially, with different type of tools like world weather, and some quick access links.

I eventually removed that, as the text didnt really seem to match with the design.

Its a pity, this thing dosent work in forefox, many of my friends had already seemed to like it, and had strted using it.
And so it explains the Firefox ad I saw the other day - "firefox dosent go along other browsers"
Is there any way the problem can be fixed?

codeexploiter
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Hey VatsaL, the site still have display problems i think.

tech_support
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Its a pity, this thing dosent work in forefox, many of my friends had already seemed to like it, and had strted using it.
And so it explains the Firefox ad I saw the other day - "firefox dosent go along other browsers"
Is there any way the problem can be fixed?

And IE7.

VatsaL
10-19-2006, 10:06 AM
My script is located in an external file for http://labs.50webs.com

which is <script type="text/javascript" src="js/tab-view.js">
and also
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/ajax.js">

should I try inserting the script in the page source code for it to work, or should I try removing the ajax thing? the ajax was required earlier to enable adding tabs dynamically, but now its no use of it;

I cant test it cuz i dont have firefox and ie7

what do you suggest I should do to make the script run in firefox and ie7?

thanx

VatsaL

codeexploiter
10-19-2006, 10:11 AM
1. Make sure that you've mentioned th correct path of your external .js file in your <SCRIPT> tag.

2. If it is not working you can try to insert the Javascript source code into your page, so that you can make sure that it is working.

3. The most important thing without browsers you can't check whether your web pages has any problem. Install it

VatsaL
10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
The path is correct withought no doubt, as the script works in almost all browsers exept firefox and IE7.
What is it that firefox and IE7 fail to incorporate I don't know.
There may be some flaw in the script itself, or firefox and IE7 dont read external scripts properly, which seems rather impossible.

I'll have to try inserting javascript code into the page itself, but then it might increase the page loading time, and considering its a homepage im tryin to build, I dont think thats a pretty good idea. nevertheless, ill have to try it to atleast get the thing working in firefox and IE7