PDA

View Full Version : Flash detection

djr33
10-15-2006, 09:41 AM
I am interested in having some flash content on my site, but I hate it when it doesn't work for a user who doesn't have flash installed.

A friend of mine wrote (found?) a javascript that detects flash and redirects based on that.

Is there a way to do this using flash?

I know flash can send post variables and even interact with javascript.

Is there any way to make it redirect if it works, and leave things alone if not?

That would work well, I think.

Any other ideas in this area?

BLiZZaRD
10-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Try out the Flash Detection Kit (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/download/detection_kit/)

I have used this a few times in the past and it works really well, if they don't have the payer it will give them the option to install it right there, without leaving your site. COOL!

However, if you use this option check the AC_OETags.js file for the links and verify all the install/upload links are valid. Last time I used this they still had a few ftpdownload.macromedia.com's in there, but it is now adobe.com...

djr33
10-16-2006, 06:27 AM
I was also hoping to do this in a way that didn't require JS.

I think this makes sense:
include a flash file on the page.
if the flash loads, have it forward to a new url
if it doesn't load, it will stay on the same page, which will be the non-flash page.
At that point, a cookie could be stored.

Twey
10-16-2006, 06:28 AM
I was also hoping to do this in a way that didn't require JS.Why? JS is better-supported than Flash. What do you think the chances are that someone with JS disabled/unavailable will have Flash installed?

BLiZZaRD
10-16-2006, 06:33 AM
It would be easier to include the Flash file, and under it have 2 links, one for the non flash version page, and one to download flash player.

If the flash loads they will ignore the links, if it doesn't they have a choice.

djr33
10-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Hmm... ok.

Twey, if they don't have flash or JS, then the JS wouldn't work.
If you're saying to use Js to detect flash then redirect to a flash page, that could work.

Thanks for the info. I'll think it over.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

BLiZZaRD
10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Wait, wait wait..

Wont the Flash detection option work for you? File>> publish settings>> click the html and Flash boxes. Go to the HTML tab and check "detect flash version"

Click on settings and verify your requirements. (leave cab versions set to 0 though)

djr33
10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Hmm...perhaps.
I'll play with it.
This isn't an immediate thing, but something that I want to be able to do later. I'll look into that.

BLiZZaRD
10-17-2006, 09:18 AM
You can also go back to old files and change the requirements without using Flash. Just open the HTNML file and find where it lists the cab version (8.0.0) for example. The first number is the required Flash version, and the other 2 0's are the builds, which should always stay at 0.

Just an idea.

I do know there are many other ways to do what you need. I will try to find my links and give you some to look over.

BLiZZaRD
10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Found one of them.. This one (http://www.cyscape.com/products/bhawk/workshop/detect-flash.aspx?bhcp=1) is for a program that will do it for you, but there is a free trial and I don't doubt you can err.. reverse engineer it :D

I have others if I can locate them....