View Full Version : "Cool DHTML Tooltip II" Bug

moscarda
10-10-2006, 11:53 PM
1) Script Title:
Cool DHTML Tooltip II

2) Script URL (on DD):
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/dhtmltooltip2.htm

3) Describe problem:
I am on a mac. I am troubleshooting on a clean page. In I.E., the tooltip hovers ABOVE the link, and takes up nearly the entire screen. What is odd is that it works correctly on the first onmouseover, but every time after that is glitched.

ddadmin
10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac right now. But just for reference, what version of Safari are you using?

moscarda
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Well the problem I'm having is with I.E., Safari works fine. I am though, to answer your question, running version 2.0.4 of Safari.

Sorry about the Mac inconvenience.

jscheuer1
10-14-2006, 08:30 AM
It stands to reason that the problem could well be something that happens while the tip is hidden here:

function hideddrivetip(){
if (ns6||ie){
enabletip=false
tipobj.style.visibility="hidden"
pointerobj.style.visibility="hidden"
tipobj.style.left="-1000px"
tipobj.style.backgroundColor=''
tipobj.style.width=''
}
}

Just as a test (I have no Mac to check on either) I would try changing that red line to:

tipobj.style.width='1px'

Another good candidate in this script would be to change this:

function ietruebody(){
return (document.compatMode && document.compatMode!="BackCompat")? document.documentElement : document.body
}

to:

function ietruebody(){
return document.body
}

and later to:

function ietruebody(){
return document.documentElement
}

Just to see what happens.

ddadmin
10-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Wow John finds a way to be helpful even when working in the dark on this one! :D

moscarda
10-14-2006, 09:23 AM
better change mad professor into super human robot

jscheuer1
10-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Um thanks, I think. If any of that helped, those weren't solutions, at least not the last two. That thing with the width probably could be changed without hurting any other browsers but, if it does, a compensating change could probably be made to the function that shows the tip.

The ietruebody() function is required by PC versions of IE to get the offset correct. If IE Mac requires only one or the other response, it would need to be tested for that browser probably with ACK! browser detection (relatively harmless if the only target is IE Mac).

tech_support
10-29-2006, 07:55 AM
If you get time, you can install Mac on a PC natively.

Url: http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/10/01/osx-1048-on-your-windows-computer/