PDA

View Full Version : help with dhtml tooltip II for IE for Mac

wordsistr
01-14-2005, 07:38 PM
This tooltip functions well in all browsers except Internet Explorer for Mac, where it does not fail gracefully at all. Has anyone been able to fix this problem?

feverblu
06-14-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm running into the same problem. Has no one else noticed it?

Both versions of tooltip work beautifully in all the browsers I've had the opportunity to check (IE, Safari, FF, Opera - on Mac and PC) but IE 5.2 for Mac produces a strange problem. The first rollover diplays tip properly. If I mouseOut and then mouseOver again, I get a massive, unweildy tooltip window. Refreshing the page corrects it, but then the problem repeats. this happens even on the Dynamic Drive demo page.

Very strange. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

jscheuer1
06-15-2005, 04:45 AM
My solution would be to disable the script for that browser. Let me get this straight though (not having a Mac to test on). You are saying that some versions of IE Mac work OK, just not IE Mac v5.2? I ask because that makes it harder to isolate the browser, not impossible. For do it yourselfers, I've used the following code to disable key segments of a script in all IE Mac browsers:
var agt=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
if((agt.indexOf('mac')!=-1)&&(agt.indexOf("msie")!=-1))
nullfunction();
else{

code for every other browser goes here

}This requires a function on the page accessible to to the above code, this in the head of the page will work:
<script type="text/javascript">
function nullfunction(){
return;
}
</script>If you need a more customized solution -

whatever

. . . and let me know if it is all IE Mac's or just the one or if there even are other IE Mac versions, I'm really not in the know as to what IE Mac versions exist.

feverblu
06-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Script: Cool DHTML Tooltip II
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/dhtmltooltip2.htm

Unfortunately, I only have Mac IE 5.2 available for testing. I can't yet confirm that the problem exists on other versions.

The problem seems to be that after the first successful mouseOver, subsequent incidents create a massive tooltip that stretches well out of the browser frame.

Maybe this will help. first mouseOver of "B/W":

http://www.sixsquare.com/blog/images/tooltip_01.jpg

Second mouseOver of "B/W":

http://www.sixsquare.com/blog/images/tooltip_02.jpg

Thanks again for any insight you might be able to provide.

wordsistr
06-27-2005, 12:00 AM
I use the tooltip regardless of it's failure in Explorer for Mac. Because nobody is keeping this browser up to date (microsoft ceased development in 2003), you won't get the tooltip to work. It's market share is tiny and shrinking anyway as it goes the way of the dodo. I don't think it's included as an alternative to the default Safari on new mac computers anymore.

If you are still concerned about turning off surfers, you can set up an automatic detection to warn any hapless mac IE viewers that your site is best viewed in any other browser. They must be getting used to it by now!

jscheuer1
06-27-2005, 05:52 AM
var agt=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
if((agt.indexOf('mac')==-1)||(agt.indexOf("msie")==-1)){Put the above code at the top of your script and this:
}at the end. :)

Just kidding but, it will work to exclude IE Mac if applied in the right places.

feverblu
06-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the input, folks! I think you're right. It's not really worth the trouble. The script works everywhere else in the known world, and that's good enough for me.

Cheers,
Will