PDA

View Full Version : How to include PHPBB Forum into a Webpage?

dak
10-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi,
I would like to include PHPBB forum into my webpage so that it looks and acts like a single web page.

Could help please? I have very little knowledge of PHP, so please show the steps in example.

Many Thanks

djr33
10-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Er... what?
All message boards are designed to act as a series of webpages.
The only way to do what you're asking would be to use an (i)frame.
Aside from that, you'd need to recode everything.

If you want to change the look, just find (or make) a new skin. With that you can control the header and footer too, if you want to add that there.

Or is the problem simply installed phpBB? In that case, read the documentation. Few people here will likely know the exact steps, so you might want to look for a phpBB specific forum if you need specific help installing.

AbelaJohnB
10-08-2006, 03:59 AM
I would like to include PHPBB forum into my webpage so that it looks and acts like a single web page. Could help please? I have very little knowledge of PHP, so please show the steps in example.

dak,

As one of the original co-founders of phpBB, I can say for sure that if you have very little php-knowledge, this is probably something you should leave for someone that does, even if it means paying them a few bucks.

Can someone make phpBB "look and act" like the rest of your website?

Yes.

Let me address each of these issues, as they both have a much different answer.

Making phpBB "look like" your existing website, while easy, is not all that easy.

You are going to need to know a good deal about HTML and how to edit it. If you have that knowledge, chances are pretty good you can make phpBB look *very* close to what the rest of your website looks like. (as you did not provide a link to your website, no way for me to really answer this). What you will need to do is dig into the /templates/subSilver/ directory and just start changing file after file after file, until you get through every file in that folder and your phpBB forum looks as close to your website as you can make it. Depending on how you do php loops in the rest of your website, you might also have to venture into some of the .php files in the root and /include/ directories.

As for making phpBB "act" like your existing website... well, the biggest problem you are going to have is sessions. phpBB uses an independent php session management system that most likely is nowhere near what you have at your existing website (if you even have sessions). Within the support section of the phpBB website you will find some pretty detailed instructions on how to make phpBB "use" your existing sessions... but be warned: if you don't know php very well... you should leave this to someone that does know php very well. (very very well... sessions are the heart of every applications security system)

Though I am no longer involved in phpBB, and have no desire to do this for you (just to get that out of the way), I would say this to you.... in the past I have done a number of freelance jobs for folks wanting to do what you want done. Typically it takes a few days to do if a person is working on it full-time. The templates along that is. Converting over phpBB's sessions to your own websites sessions can be easy, or really hard, depending on your level of sessions security management presently in place at your website.

tech_support
10-08-2006, 04:28 AM
AbelaJohnB:

As one of the original co-founders of phpBB,...

Any proof that you are?

I can say for sure that if you have very little php-knowledge, this is probably something you should leave for someone that does, even if it means paying them a few bucks.

He already said he had little knowledge of PHP, that's why he's turning to us for help ;)

Though I am no longer involved in phpBB, and have no desire to do this for you (just to get that out of the way), I would say this to you.... in the past I have done a number of freelance jobs for folks wanting to do what you want done. Typically it takes a few days to do if a person is working on it full-time. The templates along that is. Converting over phpBB's sessions to your own websites sessions can be easy, or really hard, depending on your level of sessions security management presently in place at your website.

Maybe someone else would be kind enough to help him.

dak:

Do you mean PHPBB integration?
Maybe you'd like to include a link to your page so we can check it out.

djr33
10-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah. I'm still unsure of the question here.
Skins are a very different story from actually recoding phpbb or "including it in your site".

dak
10-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Well,
Thanks for your attempts to help me. I now know that customising phpbb forum, behave and look exactly like rest of the website is difficult for me. I do not want to go that far at the moment.

However, I would be happy if could include the phpbb forum inside a webpage like the following:

http://www.danskcinders.com/indexx1.php#howto

motormichael12
11-10-2006, 08:37 PM
is it a free hosted phpbb or is it registerd/licensed?

Pie
01-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi,
I would like to include PHPBB forum into my webpage so that it looks and acts like a single web page.

Could help please? I have very little knowledge of PHP, so please show the steps in example.

Many Thanks

Hello folks,

I'd really like to know how to keep PHPBB in the iFrame? Say when you logout and click 'Log in to check your private messages' then enter your log in details, phpBB opens outside the iFrame. Thanks chaps.

:confused:

djr33
01-31-2007, 01:44 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure. Sometimes there can be javascript solutions that force something into an iframe. Breaking out of frames is a fairly common thing, so not really sure.

BLiZZaRD
01-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Is this of any help? (http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/get-phpbb-integrated-into-your-web-design-vt61765.html)

GhettoT
02-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Would be remotly possible to do

<?php
define("[WHATEVER]", " ");
include 'phpBB/index.php' ;
?>

*Just do a bunch of defines and define the different files and such, and then include the index.php in a table or [i]frame within a page...

djr33
02-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Huh? I'm confused... no clue what you're trying to do.

include() outputs DIRECTLY to the browser.. right into the html. There is no way to control how it's output, except where you place it, and that wouldn't allow for use in an iframe.

GhettoT
02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
FOrget what i said about iFrames... But could you do something like what I posted above for a php include into a page?