PDA

View Full Version : Top Navigational Bar III

willough
01-14-2005, 05:44 AM
I have installed this script and am in the development stage with an ecommerce site using it. I like it but am having design difficulties. I would like to know if there is a way to install the nav bar into a wide table cell (the page's header) alongside another cell with our logo, etc rather than fix it a point on the screen. I have it now located just beneath the header (75 px from top) but find that it blocks the first couple of lines of text in the body. I have to compensate by doing page breaks to drop the text a few lines. I am using it in conjunction with shopping cart software that breaks the overall page into 3 sections: category menus (left or right or both); page header/navigation; body.

If what I'm seeking is not do-able with this menu can you suggest another with cross browser compatibility? Thanks.

simonf
01-14-2005, 06:49 AM
It basically can be positioned anywhere on the screen. I would suggest you create your top segment with logo etc and then just position the menu via these lines in the custom,js file

var menuALIGN = "left"; // alignment
var absLEFT = 0; // absolute left or right position (if menu is left or right aligned)
var absTOP = 100; // absolute top position

If you are still having an issue, post your link and we will take a look and help resolve.

speedracer
01-14-2005, 07:02 AM
I have installed this script and am in the development stage with an ecommerce site using it. I like it but am having design difficulties. I would like to know if there is a way to install the nav bar into a wide table cell (the page's header) alongside another cell with our logo, etc rather than fix it a point on the screen.

these advanced menus can not be nestled in a table cell. most, all websites using these type of menu design their pages so that it will be absolute positioned.

you can use a container to nestle the menu in a <div>tags.

I think the commercial version of this menu have one check here: http://brothercake.com/site/products/menu/ and the HVmenu from DD have that capability.

i've only seen few drop down menu like this in a table cell.

simonf
01-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi

I was not saying to nestled in a table cell. I was saying to create the tope of the page and position the menu to fit!!

purpledog
01-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I used mine with the anchor option to put the nav bar in a specific spot in a table. It eliminated the cross browser issues and works great. Use a clearspace.gif and name="anchor" the menu will look for the tag and start on the left edge of the gif. Good luck

willough
01-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks all. I have played around with the absolute position and have settled into something I can live with. I do wish there was some documentation or better explanatory notes in the script regarding options. I can figure out most but not all.