PDA

View Full Version : link Problem in Utimate fade in slideshow

Dudger
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: Cant pull up a local page

Hi all
Im a total newbie to using scripts - so please bear with me

Im using an upper and lower page with drop down menu in the top page reflecting into the bottom page (That was the first script i ever used - this is the second) - when i include the slideshow script it works great and i can link to external web sites so they open in the bottom window.
However i cant seem to open a page from the same directory as the site ?

I thaught that as it was in the same directory i just entered 'pagename.htm' in the right spot and bobs yer uncle -

but it does nowt :(

Help

jscheuer1
10-04-2006, 05:02 AM
When you configure a link in this slide show, you add a target, if desired:

fadeimages[2]=["photo3.jpg", "http://www.javascriptkit.com", "_new"]

In the above example, the target (red) is a new window. It doesn't matter where the link is to (green in the above). Whatever target (including empty quotes for no target) gets the link to open in a particular place on your layout will work for a local as well as for an off site link. If you are having trouble with a local link, first make sure it is a valid link. If it is, use the same target syntax you found successful for the off site link.

Dudger
10-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Cheers for that John - had already checked what you describe - cant find a fault other than it does not work. - works on remote sites no problem - works if i call the target page from my menu - or put the target page on a remote web site i have and call it from the fade in script ?

Cant seem to see the wood for the trees :(

jscheuer1
10-05-2006, 06:29 AM
When you say you cannot pull up a local page, do you mean a page on the same server as the script or one on your local computer?

If it is the former, please supply a link to the problem page. If the latter, are you using the 'mark of the web' on any of your local pages? The 'mark of the web' looks something like so:

<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

and usually comes right after the opening <html> tag. If some local pages have this and others do not, they will (in IE) act as though they are on different domains from one another, even if they are in the same directory.

Dudger
10-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Hiya - never heard of 'Mark of the web' ?

The pages before i added the script are at www.sbmcc.org.uk - im replacing the image scroller because it insists on advertising on the info bar.

The pages are rubbish at the moment :) - just want to get them basically working.

NB - they are virtually hand written - used DW2 and wordpad - i yesterday tried DW6 and if i make any edit at all with that - my menu system fails :(

Guess i have a lot to learn

Dudger
10-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Well Today it works ?
Im not exactly sure whats going on - but i can only get it to work when i link to pages that are a copy of the pages i got with my demo menu system - and if i edit them with DW6 or anything else other that DW2 - the menu system fails.
There must be something invisibly embedded in the pages that I as an amateur dont know about ?

Thanks for trying to help tho