PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fade-In Slideshow (v1.5) changing images in other frames

inta
09-28-2006, 11:25 PM
1) Script Title: Ultimate Fade-in slideshow (v1.5)

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem: How do you change the script to change images located in other frames?

I downloaded the slideshow script and was extremely pleased with the way it allows multiple images to be changed on a page.

I would now like to figure out how to use the script located in one frame to change named images located in another frame.

jscheuer1
09-29-2006, 04:17 PM
This script doesn't change named images to begin with. In addition, I am not entirely clear on what sort of effect you are looking for. It is might be that simply putting the script on the content page would suffice to produce the effect you are after.

inta
10-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Hello John,

I have a page layout that has a banner frame, a menu frame, a body frame and a footer frame.

I would like to display a series of images in the form of a slideshow and I have used photoshop to design the layout. The images are broken into six elements each with two elements residing in the menu frame, three elements residing in the body, and one element residing in the footer.

I placed the script into each of the three content pages that comprise the layout and this works pretty well. But after a while, the image elements begin to go out of sync. Is there any way that I can synchronise the image change or can I use one script located on a page to control all three content pages?

I hope there is a way as your script is by far the best one that I have come across.

jscheuer1
10-02-2006, 02:03 AM
It is possible to synchronize slide shows on a given page so, it wouldn't be impossible to do so across frames as long as the frameset and content pages were all on the same domain. I'm a little too busy to give this the time it would take to work out the details however there are some considerations. The way this can be done on a single page is to delay the start of all shows until all are ready. I've actually used this method to ensure that no two slide shows are fading in at the same time as, this looks really crappy in many browsers. Which is really two considerations:

1 ) Do you want the slide shows to all wait until all are ready before any begin?

2 ) Do you really want them synchronized if this results in choppy fade effects for many users?

You can see the work I've done in accomplishing this for a single page by following this Google link's results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=site%3Adynamicdrive.com%2Fforums%2Farchive+ultimate+stagger+jscheuer1&btnG=Search

The main trick to do this across frames would be to locate the script on the frameset and have it somehow be referenced to the child pages. This would require appropriate additions of parent. and frameName. references throughout the script and the individual calls on the content pages to it.

Or, each page could have its own version of the script with each one checking back to the other frames to see if they have shows on them and, if so, if those are ready before beginning.

Another thing to think about is that frames have inherent drawbacks so you may want to consider converting your site to single pages.