PDA

View Full Version : validating issue

batcaveguy
01-09-2005, 07:24 PM
In validating the page of my site, somesturr.batcave.net, I am using "html 4.01 transitional" as the base.

The validator at w3.org does not like the <ilayer> <layer> tags.

When I remove these tags, the page still works fine and validates.

What's the trick in validating the page with those tags in place?

Also, if you're having problems validating a page and can't understand why, there is a simple solution.
For instance ----- End tag for <big> which is not open.
Solution:---- <\/big>

It would be nice for those of you writing the scripts to include this extra mark so we don't have to go through and edit each one later.

mwinter
01-09-2005, 09:20 PM
somesturr.batcave.netWhen posting a link, please actually specify a link. Also make sure it's correct.

somestuff.batcave.net

The validator at w3.org does not like the <ilayer> <layer> tags.With good reason.

When I remove these tags, the page still works fine and validates.No modern browser (to my knowledge) will recognise them so the elements themselved will be ignored, as specified by the HTML Specification.

What's the trick in validating the page with those tags in place?You can't. They are not, nor have they ever been, standard elements[1]. As I said, no modern browser recognises them so delete them.

It would be nice for those of you writing the scripts to include this extra mark so we don't have to go through and edit each one later.The more sensible thing would be for you to place the script in an external file where it doesn't matter. Doing this also allows the script can be cached.

Oh, and since when has that page been the "new look" for Dynamic Drive?

Mike

[1] If memory serves, Netscape introduced them with NN4. As far as I know, NN4 is the only browser to understand them.

cr3ative
01-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh, and since when has that page been the "new look" for Dynamic Drive?

I noticed this too, I literally laughed out loud.
(I think it's the default text in the script :p)

cr3ative

batcaveguy
01-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I will remove the layer tags and forget about it.

As for the "new look", if you'll check out the actual script on DD, you'll notice that this is the stock string used as an example.
I'm only using that stuff as a checker to make sure eveything works.

Besides, DD does need a new look eh?