PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Ajax Content and user navigation via back/forward buttons

glindsay
09-08-2006, 04:53 AM
1) Script Title: Dynamic Ajax Content

2) Script URL (on DD): www.stmarksntc.org.au/

3) Describe problem: It isn't really a script problem; the script is working fine and successfully loads pages as I expect. It is just that users are not used to the back button taking them back to a section home page. I have divided the website up into several sections each having a default.htm (home page). Any use of the back button takes people back to that section's home page. Of course, there is no need to use the back button you can always go 'forward to the past or future' with ajax content loaded pages. I have ample navigational aids on the sidebars and top menu bar.

Is there some way of providing a way of helping the user's back button from reading the history and going back to the loaded page they were on instead of going back to the 'section home page'?

Perhaps I should find a way to disable the browsers back/forward buttons but that would upset many of our users as many of them are not comfortable with website behaviours that are not 'straightforward'.

I don't wish to go back to static pages because dynamic page content saves me so much build time.

jscheuer1
09-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Your page is in violation of Dynamic Drive's usage terms (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/notice.htm), which, among other things, state that the script credit must appear in the source code of the page(s) using the script. Please reinstate the notice first.

Also, it makes it harder to tell which script you are using. Cookies could probably take care of the problem you mention.

And, although the link to your page is helpful, this part of the form:

2) Script URL (on DD):

is for a link to the demo page here on Dynamic Drive that you found the script you are using on.