PDA

View Full Version : create login for members

jtinnovations
09-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Hi,

My question is how do I go about creating on a website an area where people can register and then login using a user id and password, such as was done for the forum here. Or is there a third party program that I can just plug into for this? Any help or directions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry

graf
09-07-2006, 03:59 AM
<form action="" method="post" name="form1" id="form1">
<input id="username" name="username" type="text" size="25" />
<input id="password" name="password" type="password" size="25" />
<input type="submit" name="ButtonName" value="Sign In" />
</form>

This is waht you are looking for ???

djr33
09-07-2006, 05:28 AM
That's the html side of things... the form.
Firstly, that would only be enough for logging in. To register, you'd use something similar, but with more info, like a second password field to verify it, a contact email address, etc.

Second, that's just the surface of things. That's the only thing that the user would see, but on the php side, you would need code connecting to the database, verifying the username/password, and storing whether they are logged in or not.

You're asking a very general question, and it's a lot easier to answer if we know the details--
Is this for a forum? (they usually come with the forum software, or if you're programming it yourself, this is the least of your concerns)
Does it need to be secure or is it just for fun?
What are you protecting?
How many pages?
etc.

jtinnovations
09-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Well I have a client who would like to just have people buy memberships to view her photo's and videos. She does professional female wrestling. So I guess this would be in 2 parts:

Part 1 is a way to have people pay (using paypal, her preference) and join as a member, getting a user id (using email address) and password. This will be used then everytime to login.

Part 2 is to create the login for the members to login and view the pages holding the photos and video.

Thanks for all the help.
Terry

djr33
09-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks complex, and there's a lot more to it than "a login"... credit card numbers, security, and using a database to relate the photos/videos to the users. Does each user have their own particular photos/videos, or is it the same for each user?
Anyway, that's a very complex system. Once you start involving money, it's not something I'd choose to code because it's both complex and involves credit card numbers, which isn't something to do with trial and error.

jtinnovations
09-09-2006, 01:18 PM
You are right and I totally agree, that is why I was wondering if there is a third party (program, software or website) that my client could plug into for this. I know that there are a lot of places to plug into a forum rather than creating it new from scratch. If someone knows of something like this could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Terry

djr33
09-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Hmm... typo. I meant "that's complex"... not "Thanks complex"... sorry.

Right, that makes sense.
The problem is that every single "application"/webpage has it's own way of functioning, interacting with the database, etc.

I haven't heard of the specific applications you are using, and that would lead me to believe they aren't particularly common, though I certainly wouldn't claim to know everything that would be considered common.
Anyway, to find a way to integrate them, just google it. If you don't find something, or, if as I have guessed, the applications aren't particularly common, then you will either need to write it yourself or find someone who can/will. Again, it would be hard.

You can't just apply something generic to a specific PHP application because, as I said, each application functions in a unique way.

The only solution is a specific solution for merging these two applications.
If you search well for it and can't find it, you can assume it doesn't exist, so you'll need another solution.