PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with Windows SP2?

TLTK
01-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi, guys,

I recently downloaded Windows SP2 and found out it blocks almost everything created by dynamic javascript such as pop-up windows and moving bars, dynamic slideshows... I am wondering if there is anyway to make my website still looks dynamic and active in the computers with Windows SP2 installed. Do we need to give up dynamic html and switch to Flash?

I am just a beginner of website design. Hope to receive your help!

Thanks a lot!

Minos
01-08-2005, 07:34 AM
You can disable SP2's blocking of javascript, but it is generally a good idea to keep javascript to a minimum...relying on it too heavily can
A) Slow loading of a page
B) Cause the site's appearance to look shoddy on PCs with javascript disabled
C) Be a royal pain in the @ss to code, debug, and modify/update.

Flash is becoming more popular, but I personally am not a big fan of it.

mwinter
01-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Cause the site's appearance to look shoddy on PCs with javascript disabledThe more serious problem is when critical functionality, like navigation, is solely dependent upon a script.

Flash is becoming more popular, but I personally am not a big fan of it.Flash has it's own problems. It's not particularly accessible and it requires a plug-in that you can't guarantee everyone will have. Flash is fine for small animations and effects but it, like Javascript, shouldn't become critical. The exception, of course, is that the Flash is your content - a major reason for someone coming to your site.

To the OP: The only problems SP2 have ever caused for me is the blocking of scripts that are run locally during testing, but that occurs rarely. SP2, in itself, shouldn't give you any problems at all.

Mike