PDA

View Full Version : Jerky quality to images in Carousel II Slideshow

mgaldi
08-20-2006, 11:25 PM
1) Script Title: Carousel II Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/carousel2.htm

3) Describe problem: No matter what changes I make to the variables, including the animation steps, the # of sides, the speed, etc., the images in my slideshow move with a jerky quality and even a delay flash when the image moves. Would greatly appreciate someone looking at my page, reading the code, & making suggestions! The address of the page is:
http://www.earthcraftarts.com/greenwatest.htm
I usually use Dreamweaver to make sites, so my use of html is not extensive. Please HELP!!!

jscheuer1
08-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Well, there are a couple of things. First off - the incredibly huge download of a .wav file is bogging down the entire page. Convert to mp3 and consider lowering the audio quality as well to conserve both bandwidth and disk space, or - eliminate it. Most folks find musical websites annoying after the the first visit, if not sooner.

Second, you are relying upon the browser to both rotate and resize the images. For example you tell the script that they are 220 pixels wide, they aren't. Same with the height, it is off by even more. Resize all of your images to be of a uniform width and height in an image processing program and set the script to their actual dimensions.

mgaldi
08-21-2006, 08:40 PM
John,

Thanks so much for your observations.. they helped after I coordinated the size of the images to the exact size in the slideshow and especially after I got rid of the wav. file. I so appreciate your prompt response and would like to pick your brain on another slideshow. This one runs very smoothly but the image hyperlinks open a very small window that then won't open into the larger linked page. Would you please look at my page and see if you can figure out how to correct this. My novice level with html prevents me from finding where to make any corrections. Page: www.earthcraftarts.com/greenwatest2

The original script can be seen at:
http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/webjs/jsimage/item.php/295371_viewit

Thank you in advance!!
Marsha

jscheuer1
08-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Find this on your page, it is near the bottom of the page:

function stopme(){
clearTimeout(next_right)
}

function newwin(loc){
if(loc==""){return}
//window.open(loc)
window.open(loc,'','left=200,top=200,width=200,height=200') // use for specific size and positioned window
}

// add onload="init()" and style="overflow-x:hidden" to the opening BODY tag

// place <script>init()</script> after the opening BODY tag

// -->
</script>
</HEAD>
<BODY><h1>Slideshow - Multiple Image</h1>
<script>init()</script>

<BR><BR><BR><BR>
<P>&nbsp;

Adjust the width and height (green) to that of your choosing. Also, get rid of the two red tags, they may cause problems in some browsers, do nothing good, and are invalid when used in this location on the page as, you have others higher up the page which are valid.

mgaldi
08-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Dear John,

Thanks for being my miracle worker... I had noticed those sizes in reading the code but didn't understand that they referred to the linked window... and after it says "open window"... duh!!! The windows open properly now that I fixed the width & height. I really appreciate your prompt reply & your help, as I'm working on a website for a very talented artist who wanted a slideshow that allows many images at one time. It is a rather cool script, is it not?

As a novice, it makes me feel better knowing there is someone like you out there, for whom using code is like breathing, and who is good enough to help people like me. Thanks again!

Marsha