PDA

View Full Version : Slashdot Menu script

averagecdn
08-19-2006, 02:31 AM
1) Script Title: Slashdot Menu script

2) Script URL (on DD):

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/slashdot.htm

3) Describe problem:

I am attempting to implement this script on my website. However I am unable to figure out how to get it to show on my main page then all subsequent pages. I have the menu setup how I want it however I am stuck at this point any help is appreciated.

mburt
08-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Use frames:

http://www.pageresource.com/html/frame1.htm

You can set the target of the menu to the main page as well.

DimX
08-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Or use server-side scripting.

averagecdn
08-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Huh? Server side scripting?

DimX
08-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Never mind, forget it :p

averagecdn
08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
When you are entering in text to the slashdot menu how do you get it to accept 2 lines of information and have it look correct so that dark title part of the menu expands with it.

mburt
08-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Try using the escape character: "\n" or the tag "<br>"

It may work

averagecdn
08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Tried that but it doesn't work

chronister
09-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Server Side Scripting is scripts that are processed on the server. PHP is a server side script and that is what a majority of people use. To implement the menu fairly easy... do the following.

<-- the first step is not absolutely necessary, you can get away with simply changing the include filename below to slashmenu.htm -->

rename slashmenu.htm to menu.php Then delete everything in the page before the first <div> tag and everything after the last </div> tag (don't delete the DD comments as they have to stay to use the script I believe)

All you want is the main menu code. This is the main menupage.
In each page where you want the menu to show use <?php include('menu.php') ?>

This assumes that your menu.php file is in the same directory as the page you want it to show on and that the slashfiles folder is in this same directory.

You should also add in the Head section of the pages
<script language="JavaScript" src="slashfiles/menu.js"></script>

This is how I have it setup and it works wonderfully.

Nathan