PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Resolution Detection

LambeauBear
08-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I am new to web publishing and have a dilemma I have been unable to resolve and I hope that you can help me.

My main website http://www.lambeaubear.com was designed to best be viewed at 800 x 600, and while it is still appears reasonably well at the higher resolution of 1024 x 768, I wonder if there is a way to code my site to detect a specific resolution and thus keep the layout looking the same? I use a style sheet and my site is html 4.01 compliant.

blm126
08-16-2006, 01:39 PM
There is a way to do that easily in javascript, but I can't remember how off the top of my head. If at all possible though, you should not have to do that. The layout should be fluid.

mwinter
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
There is a way to do that easily in javascript ...

No, there isn't. The information that might actually be useful is the viewport size, but that isn't easy to obtain reliably (though it is certainly possible).

If at all possible though, you should not have to do that. The layout should be fluid.

Indeed. Designing for any particular resolution is a non-starter on the Web, not least because resolution is irrelevant. The number of pixels that can be displayed on my monitor does not tell you anything about whether my browser is maximised, windowed, or full-screen. It doesn't tell you whether I have sidebars (like the history list) open, or how many toolbars are present and how big they are. It also doesn't help that any and all of these things may change at any time.

The Web is not a piece of paper, and it cannot be treated as such.

Mike