PDA

View Full Version : Form Help!

Snorkle?
08-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Ok im going to admit im not good at forms using javascript so thats why im bringing this up.

Recently ive been working on a signup form and i was wondering if anyone knew a code for when the submit button is clicked it would save a cookie to there hard disk

I appreciate it if u know
Thank You!

jscheuer1
08-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Server side code would probably be better for this than javascript but, it depends. Could you be more specific about your 'sign in' page and what the user would be signing in to?

The problem with a javascript cookie for sign ins is that they can easily be lost and/or stolen. If this isn't meant to be a secure sign in and you don't care if users are forgotten mid session just because they cleared their browser's cookies, it might be OK to use javascript for it.

As far as javascript cookies, their care and feeding as it were, I've always liked the adequate codes and excellent tutorial here:

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/cookies.html

Snorkle?
08-13-2006, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the support.

Snorkle?
08-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Im Curious John, how long have u been doing computer programming languages?
heheh

jscheuer1
08-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I really have never done computer programming very much. I have been messing around with presentational markup since about the early 90's or late 80's, first with the then waning but still popular BBS systems like Wildcat, Telegard, Renegade, Maxim, etc. with their ascii, ansi, RIP and proprietary presentational languages. Later I got into HTML and later still, javascript. I am just now beginning to learn server side scripting. As far as actual computer programming, all I was ever good at were batch files and various enhanced batch file schemes like 4DOS and NT's extended batch programming techniques. I'm pretty rusty at those now.

Snorkle?
08-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Interesting.