PDA

View Full Version : Hide URLs in bottom left corner

ptancred
08-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey people,

Just in the middle of coding a website, but I don't want people to be able to see the URLs in the bottom left corner (to do with the gallery section, but it aint really important why).

So, I saw in the HTML section of this forum someone looking for a simliar code. I tried it, but while it does display my text in the corner, if I put the mouse over a link, it displays the URL. So... basically, does anyone have a code so I can put my own text there that wont change to a URL when the mouse is over a link.

Thanks.

mburt
08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Try this: (not foolproof):

<a href="#" onmouseover="window.status='';return true">Mouseover Here</a>

ptancred
08-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for that. It works up until I click on the pictures.

I'm using this gallery code: http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/lightbox/index.htm. The URL appears when the picture is opening. Is there a way to stop that?

Thanks.

Twey
08-13-2006, 03:49 PM
There's no way to totally hide the URL, no.
Perhaps if you tell us why you want to do it, we can suggest an alternative solution.

ptancred
08-13-2006, 03:53 PM
It's for a band and they don't want people taking their pictures. So, I thought I'd disable the right click using the No Right Click Script 3, disable the picture toolbar and hide the URLs.

Twey
08-13-2006, 04:26 PM
In that case, the alternative is copyright. The only way to stop people taking content you put into their hands is law. All these elaborate attempts to stop people taking the pictures will only serve to irritate genuine users. Anybody who wants to take your pictures will find it trivial to bypass them.

There are many threads on this topic, and the same conclusion is inevitably reached on every one. The problem is that in order to view the pictures, the user must have already downloaded them. Once they're on the user's computer, there is nothing you can do to stop the user doing whatever he/she will with them.

ptancred
08-13-2006, 05:36 PM
In that case, the alternative is copyright. The only way to stop people taking content you put into their hands is law. All these elaborate attempts to stop people taking the pictures will only serve to irritate genuine users. Anybody who wants to take your pictures will find it trivial to bypass them.

There are many threads on this topic, and the same conclusion is inevitably reached on every one. The problem is that in order to view the pictures, the user must have already downloaded them. Once they're on the user's computer, there is nothing you can do to stop the user doing whatever he/she will with them.
Ok. We'll, thanks for trying.

glucarelli
12-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Hello i was searching for such code since very long time,found this and it works in FF an IE :)

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript" title="HLSCRIPT">
function hidestatus(){
window.status=''
return true
}
if (document.layers)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)

document.onmouseover=hidestatus
document.onmouseout=hidestatus
</SCRIPT>

Twey
12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
<SCRIPT language="JavaScript" title="HLSCRIPT">The language attribute is deprecated; the type attribute is required. The title attribute is useless here.
if (document.layers)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)Wow, this is handy -- for Netscape 4...
document.onmouseover=hidestatus
document.onmouseout=hidestatusIt would be a much better idea to do it only for links, and it only needs to be done onmouseover:
<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() {
var hides = function() {
window.status = "Done.";
return true;
};
for(var i = 0, a = document.links; i < a.length; ++i)
a[i].onmouseover = hides;
a = null;
};
</script>However, this will still only work if the browser allows changing the status bar text (which pretty much all modern browsers except IE don't, by default), and of course there are always many other ways of obtaining the URL, rendering this whole exercise just as pointless as I said it was.

chechu
12-10-2006, 03:00 PM
If your only purpose it that people cannot see the coding of your page, then it is pointless. Disable Javascript and you can see everything. Nothing on the net is copyless.

Read this thread (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14403) to learn more.