PDA

View Full Version : META Tags? Still Important?

Tom S
08-10-2006, 04:58 AM
I have been creating a number of sites just using title pages and i never used meta tags such as keywords and description. i now realised that someone advised that many pages goes into similar ones shown by google.

so, do i need to use meta tags? is not using meta tags hurt my se rankings?

codeexploiter
08-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Hi Tom,

Meta Tags are still important if you provide them with correct keywords and description.

It should be match with the content you have in a page.

The following are the common place for giving some important keywords in the sites

1.HTML Title
2. Text of the page
3. Meta description
4. Meta keywords
5. ALT tags
6. Comment tags
7. URL name

Please read this article http://www.seologic.com/faq/meta-tags-importance.php which will be useful for you.

If you google you can find lots of free Meta Tag builders using which you can generate Meta Description and keywords suitable for your page from a collection of keywords. So that you don't have to create each one of them from scratch.

Hope this will help you

Regards

Code Exploiter

mwinter
08-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Meta Tags are still important if you provide them with correct keywords and description.

It would be better to say that meta elements may be important, but it depends on the search engine. For example, Google only uses a description if there's nothing better to display in the search results page. However, that's a bad thing as it suggests that your content is rather poor. Google ignores keywords entirely.

The following are the common place for giving some important keywords in the sites

An author would be better advised to worry about good content, rather than trying to find places to stuff keywords. Well-written text will contain them all naturally, anyway, and search engines are trying to spot, ignore, and even penalise fake-looking sites. That is, after all, why Google stopped respecting keywords in a meta element.

1.HTML Title

The title of a document should be used to help the user understand where they are in a site. Not only does it help identify which window or tab contains the site they're looking for when working with more than one site or running application, but the site is also easier to find in history lists, and has a useful title in search results.

5. ALT tags

The alt tag of images and other elements is an accessibility feature. It should act as a replacement for an image, nothing less. Besides, I've read that search engines don't index them, anyway.

6. Comment tags

I find that dubious: a sensible search engine would ignore comments entirely.

One location that hasn't been mentioned is headings (hx elements). A smart search engine will also weight the importance of the content within a heading by the level of that heading. However, that isn't an excuse to misuse them: write for the user, not for a search engine.

Mike

codeexploiter
08-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for conveying your thoughts about the post.

From the first post itself the user seems to be one who really worries about Search Engine rankings.

The alt tag of images and other elements is an accessibility feature. It should act as a replacement for an image, nothing less. Besides, I've read that search engines don't index them, anyway.

If you visit the following link you can find that the crawler of AltaVista, Google, Teoma crawls on ALT tag http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2167891

In the above mentioned URL you can view that one of the crawler used to checkout comments tag too.

Thanks for your response and hope you'll continue to notify these kind of points in the future too.

Regards

Code Exploiter

blm126
08-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes, but that article appears to be 4 years old. A lot can change in 4 years.

mwinter
08-11-2006, 09:38 PM
If you visit the following link you can find that the crawler of AltaVista, Google, Teoma crawls on ALT tag http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2167891

Other articles (on Usenet, mainly, and I can't be bothered to track the posts down - sorry) I've read suggest that it's limited only to images that are contained in anchors; others are ignored.

In the above mentioned URL you can view that one of the crawler used to checkout comments tag too.

Yes, one, and one I've never heard of (though that's irrelevant, really). Still, I maintain the position that it's a stupid thing to do: comments are not content, and have no business featuring in a search. That just leaves the search engine more vulnerable to false-positive results than any other form of keyword stuffing.

Mike

codeexploiter
08-14-2006, 04:26 AM
Hi Mike,

I think i've read an outdated article, I am very sorry about that I've posted it here. Hope you'll understand.

I apprecitate the response from your side . :)

Regards

Code exploiter