PDA

View Full Version : Question on Pixelating Slideshow Script

monique
08-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Script: Pixelating Slideshow Script

See: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/pixelate.htm

Question:

On the home page of the new website I am developping I used the a.m. script. When within the home page you go from the 1st page in the submenu (kunst voor bedrijven) to the 2nd (corporate art) or the 3rd (werkwijze) the slide show starts all over again. See: http://www.arti-mo.com/nieuw/index.htm.

Is there a way I can prevent this to happen, or in other words: can this be made in a way that the slideshow continues when clicking through the pages?

Thanks a lot and enjoy your day :o

Monique

jscheuer1
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
One way would be to have a frameset and leave the slide show running in one frame while other pages are loaded into the other. Or you could have a top page with the slide show on it and have the other pages loaded into an iframe on the top page. Yet another method would be to update a cookie with every slide change as to the count or whatever is keeping track of the slides (requires cookies enabled by the user) and load the slide show on each subsequent page after reading and setting this value from the cookie.

monique
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks John for you advice.

Sounds quite difficult to me. I am trying to avoid working with frames - because of bad experiences with our current website - and write the new website completely in <div>. Further I don't know about working with cookies.

I tried if templates could solve the problem, but it doesn't as always the full page is being loaded when you click to see another page.

Can you explain more about coockies? Or where I can find how I can use them?

Or is there perhaps something in the slideshow itself that can be changed to avoid the slideshow to start again everytime a new page is being clicked on? Or is that the coockie-way?

Regards,
Monique

jscheuer1
08-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Considering that yes, cookies (not 'coockies', but I loved the typo :) ) would be the way to go but, they do have the disadvantage I outlined. The worst that could happen though would be that the slide show would reset to the beginning on each page load for those users without cookies enabled. There is a great cookie tutorial and an adequate cookie unit at:

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/cookies.html

However, I'm thinking that from what you've told me so far, that this would be difficult for you to implement. So, I'll have a look at doing so when I get the chance. In the meantime, have a look at the above link and let me know if you think you can deal with this on your own.

monique
08-24-2006, 07:34 AM
I have finally been able to look into the mentioned page, and believe this is all really too difficult for me now. It seems very interesting to try this, but I don't have the time right now to do so. Therefore I have changed the idea of a pixelating slideshow on my website. It was too 'restless' I think. So now I have put on each single page one picture of art and this looks much better.

Thanks John for your help. :o

Regards,
Monique

jscheuer1
08-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry, I must have let this one slip through the cracks. I must confess I was partly relying upon you to respond as well - as a reminder. Anyways, I agree with your assessment. It also has the added advantage of not requiring the user to have javascript enabled, as well as being kinder to low bandwidth users and those with CPU's already maxed out due to low resources or a high level of multitasking.