mburt
08-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, I know what AJAX is.. advanced javascript and XML.. :D

Problem:
I have no idea how to get started with AJAX

Any help appreciated. :)

blm126
08-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Click me (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Beginner+AJAX+tutorial&spell=1):)

mburt
08-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Whoa.. I clicked you. Thanks for the help :)

Twey
08-04-2006, 08:05 PM
You'll also probably have noted that it's Asynchronous Javascript And XML. :)

mburt
08-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Right.... I knew that.. :)

superjadex12
08-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Are you famiiar with php? If yes, hopefully this will save you a lot of time.

I too was compelled to investigate this cool AJAX stuff. But hell if I could find a sensible guide that made sense! (I don't know js very well at all, nor xml)

But I got the jist of it: makes async calls (i.e variables that would normally pass to a server script and thus reload the page, pass in the background and get sent back displaying new content WITHOUT the page reloading. )

But anyway onto the good part. The ajax kit contained in the link below is realy straightforward if you know php. The best thing about it is you can implement AJAX AND have a standard php backup. Meaning if javascript is disabled, all your variables still get passed through normal href tags.

The site explains it better, but I really love this framework.

You also may be hearing about Ruby on Rails, or Protype, as I said I am no js or xml guy so those frameworks went way over my head ...

PHP it is ! Good luck.

http://www.robertnyman.com/ask/

mwinter
08-06-2006, 08:52 PM
I too was compelled to investigate this cool AJAX stuff.

It's not particularly cool. It has its uses, and it's existed in other forms for years, but it has limited scope.

The [Nyman] ajax kit contained in the link below is realy straightforward if you know php. The best thing about it is you can implement AJAX AND have a standard php backup.

It would be pretty useless if it prevented that.

Meaning if javascript is disabled, all your variables still get passed through normal href tags.

Or if AJAX is disabled or not implemented.

You also may be hearing about Ruby on Rails, or Protype, as I said I am no js or xml guy so those frameworks went way over my head ...

The Prototype library is junk that fails to provide support or graceful degradation for even moderately older browsers, provides no indication for such failures, seems to have no documentation, and is bloated. As such, it should be avoided, and anything that relies upon it (which I believe includes RoR).

Mike

superjadex12
08-10-2006, 07:24 AM
mWinter, don't really know what you are getting ? Are you just not a fan of Ajax? And yeah , ajax functionality has been around all along, just got a nice marketing boost through a buzzword.

As for the coolness Factor: I'm sure you have checked out http://script.aculo.us/ . Regardless if its not fully supported, or accessible, or degrades well, or whatever the case, WHEN it does function, (even if only for 2 people in the world) , come on, that movable drop in shopping cart thing IS PRETTY COOL ?! Coolness is purely opinion based, and my opinion is loading dynamic things without refreshing is pretty cool.

I can't really tell if you are knocking the Nyman kit. But you have expressed your concern for support and degradation. This is the entire concept behind the Nyman Kit. If js is disabled (and js = ajax in my book ?) then its like it was never there. No need for a "enable js" header, or a static, functionless site. It simply parses input as usual. Isn't that the ultimate degradation ?

Javascript , to me, has always been an enrichment tool. "Hey look at how interactive my site CAN be." Turn it off though, and a good site will still function through standard server side, and html.

So all in all , I don't get what you are trying to say? Don't use javascript EVER ? ANTI JAVASCRIPT?

And if you are just trying to say use it as an enrichment, don't depend, on it, and offer degradation.... then that is exactly what the Nyman Kit does ...

superjadex12
08-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey, sorry, about the double post. But I was just re-re read your post.

I think I realized that you are just offering supplemental information to my comments. So sorry for the defense of the Nyman kit.

As you can see I really like to talk a lot. :)

But yeah going on the js dependcy note, its really surprising to see how many corporate websites depend on js. Without Js on godaddy, the site is really difficult to navigate. www.customink.com is a site that gets a high volume of sales (shirt printing is a passion of mine) have a big online presence and their site is their primary, if not only method of sales. And yet, without js, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a quote or any pricing information whatsoever. Not to mention the GILDAN site (#1 manufacturer of imprintable shirts) is made entirely FLASH. How can these sites do so well with such basic coding wrong's implemented ?

mwinter
08-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey, sorry, about the double post. But I was just re-re read your post.

That was probably a good idea. You seemed to misread my intentions. You've done better second time around. :p

Mike