PDA

View Full Version : links inside iframes on php pages

gibbs
07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
when this gallery page i'm working on:

http://ccgi.gibbsfordloutsis.plus.com/dots-php/gallery.php

is loaded inside the iframe where it will eventually reside:

http://ccgi.gibbsfordloutsis.plus.com/dots-php/dots00.php?page=pics

all the links stop working! to the extent that the browser doesn't even recognise them! i've tried loading simpler html only pages inside the iframe and links don't work then either.

does anyone have any idea why not?

djr33
07-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Hmmm.... I like the design of your site. I'd center the whole thing vertically, though. (Pop it in a table, ...<table height="100%"><tr><td valign="center">STUFF</td></tr></table>, or use more complex, but better, CSS)
Anyway...

That has nothing to do with php, nothing to do with your links, and everything to do with the iframe.

Try clicking and dragging on a picture. Try right clicking. Try highlighting.
Nothing happens.

I'm not sure what's wrong, but I do know it's one of two things:
1. Layering. While iframes usually don't have much to do with layers, there are other things, like divs with different "z" (depth) values that won't allow you to select/right click/click links etc on a layer below them.
In the same sense, there may be something about this, like an image, that is stopping you from being able to get to it.
2. Could be that you have something going on in the iframe that disables the mouse, but I wouldn't think so. You've got custom scroll buttons, so maybe it's related to that.

I think it's the first thing.
You have an image (though transparent) OVER the iframe. If you click on it, you are clicking on a boring, simple, no coding, IMAGE, not a link, not the page behind it.
Simply remove the image, and all will be well.

However, for design reasons, you need the image. It looks nice.

I'd suggest slicing it up into smaller images and removing the clear center. you have curves, so that will be very hard to make into rectangular image pieces, but you can get close without too much work.
It's a really bad design to have something under just because you can't access it. It looks GREAT, but i'm not sure how to keep the look and functionality.

Maybe there's another way.

Really, you could just redesign it so that's on the page included in the iframe, but that would probbably be hard.

Maybe there is some CSS that will make that image act like a background and you can see through it. Or something.

gibbs
07-31-2006, 08:13 PM
good thinking! i was stumped but i think you've hit the nail on the head there.
i think i'll try cutting the image up into 4 rectangular pieces, i can keep transparent slivers round the screen so it's still curved, hmmmm,
many thanks!

djr33
08-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah... that's what I'd do. It will still be weird on the edges, but should at least function for the rest of it. :)