PDA

View Full Version : Question...

AsSaSiN114
07-31-2006, 03:47 AM
Is there a way for an administartor to read PM's on his forum? I think i have seen someone do it.. Please help! :confused:

Dakon Barton
07-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Depending on their knowledge of sql databases yes there is and where the information is keptis dependant on what forum their using (least thats my reply :-) )

ddadmin
07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Are you talking about DD forums specifically? There's always a way if the admin (me) really wanted to, by directly probing the database, but unless there's a legal reason or dispute that requires me to go digging for/reading that info, your privacy is protected.

djr33
07-31-2006, 09:44 AM
The data must always be stored somewhere, just like posts. If a user (or user group) doesn't have permission to view a certain post/topic, then the data still exists for those who can. In the same sense, two people (well, one, with two copies of it, probably) have permission to view a certain PM, but everyone else doesn't. It's still stored.
Some message boards may have an admin option allowing the administrator to view the sent messages. I know my board allows me to see the sent emails, though the PMs are kept in the database (like DD) and are only possible to read through the database.

BLiZZaRD
07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Unless you run phpbb forums :) They now have a hack that will allow Admin to input something or other and view all PMs and search PMs at whim...

being an Admin myself, is one of the large reasons I left phpbb :)

djr33
07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
phpBB may have a specific patch/add on that will allow the admin to do it, but it has nothing to do with phpbb itself, just that someone wrote one for it.
I could very easily write something like that for my forum, but there is no point.
It's simply finding where the messages are stored, what each field means, then creating a page in php that will allow my easy access to it.
I have already added 3 pages to the admin control panel in my forum and they work great, including integration with the database (more complex than just reading PMs; they control all of this: http://thebrb.com/stockpile and the banner at the top of each page dynamically so you can upload there.)

BLiZZaRD
07-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Aye, sorry if I was confusing. Yes someone wrote a "hack" for that. I left because it was public knowledge of the hack and many many members were questioning the integrity of the forums. I decided not to be a part of it. I am well aware that there is probably a similar hack for each and every forum out there, but being out of the public eye makes the admin's job a little easier.

djr33
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
In short, the solution is simple... don't send passwords through PMs. That's just stupid.
Aside from that, doesn't seem like you'd be sending anything the admins wouldn't be ok seeing... even a phone number or address... you can generally assume that the admins are too busy to stalk you :p

And, it's funny how people take comfort in those things... so easy to read if someone WANTED to... I've done it before, when there was a dispute between members and there was something of relevance to the argument within a PM.

BLiZZaRD
07-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes, I agree. Luckily I have never had to even try... although I did find out where when I was doing a manual SQL dump. the file itself is enough to keep me out... let alone going through it to try and find YOUR specific PM... my forum averages about 500 PMS a day on it... or more... I don't want the bother.

But as long as I don't get a fourm full of posts and PMs asking if I can do this or do I do this, I am better off.