PDA

View Full Version : CSS menu underneath excel spreadsheet

steve4446
07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
1) Script Title:
Any of the CSS / javascript drop down menus

2) Script URL (on DD):

3) Describe problem:

I have installed a number of the different CSS or javascript drop down menus from dd on my website (... only one at a time, of course!). But when I open something like an excel spreadsheet or powerpoint inside my webpage (using an iframe or something like that), the drop down menu is hidden underneath the content whenever it drops down.

Regardless of what my z-index may be, the powerpoint, spreadsheet, or explorer window being displayed in the iframe is always on top of the menu items when I mouseover it. Can someone help me solve this and get the menu to always be on top of anything loaded in the iframe? Thanks!

jscheuer1
07-28-2006, 04:48 AM
The simplest and best looking solution is to move the iframe away from the menu. If you want to play around with z-index though, both the drop down and the iframe must have position. Each can be either relative or absolute. Most drop downs are already position:absolute; so, just give the iframe position:relative;. Then, of course, the z-index of the drop down must be a higher number than the z-index of the iframe.

However, in the Opera browser, at least through v8 (I just haven't come across a viable test of this in v9 yet, it will probably still be the same), there is nothing I know of that will make anything appear over an iframe.

steve4446
07-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks, however, I'm not sure that you completely answered my question.

The iframe and CSS menu play together nicely as long as the iframe has HTML content in it. However, as soon as non-HTML content (such as a windows directory, an excel file, or a power point file) are loaded in the iframe, then the CSS menu displays underneath it.

As long as only HTML is in the iframe, the CSS menu will be on top

jscheuer1
07-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Then, I think you need to consult the documentation or knowledge base for those programs or seek help in a forum dedicated to them. However, it may simply be impossible. The best place to seek help here, if you wish to continue to do so here would be the other category. This obviously has less to do with the script than it has with the interaction of css style and the files produced by these programs when displayed in an iframe.