PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding CSS Dropdown Menus

mburt
07-26-2006, 01:31 AM
Hey.
How can I make a dropdown menu without using css? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

jscheuer1
07-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Why? Since you are posting in the javascript section, I am assuming that you would prefer to use javascript only. However, this is virtually impossible, and perhaps totally impossible as well.

A css only menu is actually better because, with css, even if all styles on a page are disabled, the user can still navigate using the links that would remain when striped of all styling. With javascript it is highly likely that, if javascript were disabled for the page, links hidden away to later be revealed might remain hidden or never get written to the page to begin with (depending upon the techniques used). I have never seen a javascript menu that did not employ some css style. I have seen css menus that use no javascript.

mburt
07-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Well, if you really want to know, I'm making a website specifically for PSPs (playstation portable). Yes, they do support css, but not in a dynamic way. Like a dropdown menu. But seeings it's completely impossible, I guess that was a stupid question.

jscheuer1
07-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, that depends upon what is meant by 'not in a dynamic way'. Most javascript drop downs work by hiding and revealing content. Usually this is done by manipulating the display style property or sometimes the visibility style property of an absolutely positioned element. The positioning of the drop down is accomplished in a similar fashion using the top and left style properties. If this is the type of dynamic style that psp doesn't support, the task would be near impossible, probably impossible using javascript.

However, the way css only drop downs work is to utilize the pseudo hover class. This is also dynamic css but doesn't rely upon being dynamically changed by javascript, it is set at the loading of the page like all ordinary css, so might be viable for psp.