PDA

View Full Version : How to get started with AJAX?

dl33
07-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Hi all,
I am planning to create an archive for a blog using ajax, so the results can instantaneously be filtered by date, tag, etc.
The only problem is that I have no javascript knowledge whatsoever:eek: , so where do I get started???
Thanks already, dl33

ddadmin
07-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, extending a blog with an ajax archive will require more than just JavaScript, but PHP/ mysql (or whatever language your blog is written in) as well. From your post it seems you're new to coding in general. Ajax really is just a bridge between JavaScript and your server side script, but you need to be familar with both sides of the bridge first. :)

Anyhow, there are a lot of Ajax tutorials online. For beginners, I like this one (http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/javascript/ajax.html).

jscheuer1
07-23-2006, 04:27 PM
ddadmin is right but I think he meant to say here:

but PHP/ mysql (or whatever language your blog is written in) may and probably need to be used as well

One thing about AJAX though, there is generally nothing 'instantaneous' about it. Its use almost always involves a perceptible lag time while the server retrieves the data and serves it, and while the browser caches it and parses it for display.

Twey
07-23-2006, 04:37 PM
jscheuer is right but I think he meant to say here:
but PHP/ mysql (or whatever language your blog is written in) may and probably will need to be used as wellCouldn't resist, sorry :)