PDA

View Full Version : Generate traffic

real_estate
07-21-2006, 07:00 AM
How can I get more traffic or people to visit my website?

Twey
07-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Host interesting content.

jscheuer1
07-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Get involved with other sites similar to your own and exchange links with them. One of the best ways to do this is to contact the site's owner and tell them how you like their site and would they give you some feedback on yours and later asking if they would be interested in exchanging links. Oftentimes, if they like your site, they will ask you if you want to exchange links before you get a chance to ask them.

Post about your site appropriately in public forums. Don't spam though. By that I mean don't just put up a bunch of "hey check this out" posts. Find forums where it would fit in to mention your own site in passing or as an example of something, or to direct people to a particular page on your site related to the topic at hand.

BLiZZaRD
07-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Host interesting content.

Trying to please everyone at the same time with one option again Twey? :p

Twey
07-23-2006, 02:25 PM
(shrug) It's the ultimate answer to this question. :)

BLiZZaRD
07-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Aye, but to assume s/he doesn't have interesting content is a bit obtuse.

If it wasn't interesting to him/her they wouldn't have made the site. Others may share this interest, and still other will not.

It wasn't a constructive reply, to say the least :p

Twey
07-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Aye, but to assume s/he doesn't have interesting content is a bit obtuse.

If it wasn't interesting to him/her they wouldn't have made the site. Others may share this interest, and still other will not.Well, that's the key question, isn't it? If enough other people find it interesting (I.E. not an "About Me" page) and it can't be found anywhere else in a more convenient form, then traffic will appear.

BLiZZaRD
07-24-2006, 08:40 AM
True.. However I have found quite a few about me pages very interesting... I once saw one that was structured like an ingredient lable, complete with daily value %ages. LOL

Twey
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
And did you go back to it regularly? :)

BLiZZaRD
07-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Well I did bookmark it. I understand your point, I was just pointing out that "host interesting content" while a viable answer, is very subjective. :)

djr33
07-28-2006, 06:14 PM
It's a good point though... your content determines your traffic.
Even if you're the first on the google search results, you might not get much traffic, if, for example, the search term was "lawn gnome".
Hehe.

Plus: there are two things here--
1. getting traffic
2. keeping traffic

the first is related to content, the second is completely dependant on content.
You can get a million visitors, but only a few will stay/come back if they don't like what they see.