PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Display - Dynamic Calendar II

dellab
07-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Script Title: Dynamic Calendar II
Script URL (on DD):
Script Link: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...dcalendar2.htm

problem: On IE the calendar displays as I want it to - right fonts and background and fits inside the column where it is meant to, but viewing with Firefox it is in the wrong place and position - moves to the right and overwrites text in the next column, and does not have the correct background color.

I am also having trouble changing the top bar, where you select the Month and Year - I would like that to be in the same font size and width as the calendar body.

http://www.turningsixty.com.au/tsblog

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

p.s. I am using tables & divs combined, because I cannot get the columns to float properly using just CSS with divs, in case you are wondering.

jscheuer1
07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
I'd try validating your markup and then your style first but, as a kludge solution, this will come close (additions red):

/* Sidebar Boxes
----------------------------------------------- */
.box {
margin:0 0 1px;
padding:0 0 0;
color:black;
align:center;
font-size:11px;
}

.box>div table table{
position:relative;
right:13px;
background-color:white;
}

.box2 {
margin:0 0 1px;
padding:0 0 0;
color:black;
align:center;
font-size:11px;
}

dellab
07-19-2006, 08:56 AM
thanks John, I will try this ... I have come some way today - and pretty much isolated the divs and boxes as part of the cause... simply with trial and error - but with not enough experience to see the fix...

dellab
07-19-2006, 11:37 PM
... and THANK YOU again..
This works, and I have learned something...

can you tell me if this bit:
.box>div table table{
position:relative;
right:13px;
background-color:white;
}

is relevant to Firefox?
I cannot find anywhere in the CSS references the .box>div code and what it means, but I see it in a couple of other places in the code e.g. html>body and have been wondering what it does.

jscheuer1
07-20-2006, 03:51 AM
The below link explains the child selector pretty well and you will note that it is a part of the CSS2 specification used in Mozilla type browsers from NS6 on (includes FF) as well as Opera3.5 on. However, IE up to and including 6 ignores it. This makes it perfect for this type of kludge.

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/syntax/selectors/element.htm#child

The near advent of IE7 may or may not complicate its use however. It is highly likely that if IE7 recognises and uses it, that IE7 will also need it to present the page as the designer intends. In other words, it could be a wash, no real problem. If it does become a problem there will always be a way around.

The best way is to design your page so as to not require kludges to begin with though, with some template type sites (I don't know if yours is one of those, many blogs are), this cannot be done except by the template provider.

dellab
07-21-2006, 01:57 AM
aha... at least I now know that I was on the right track with the browsers seeing that bit differently. Sadly, knowing isn't understanding-yet-and I still have a problem I cannot fix.

It is the top bar of the calendar, it is too wide and widens the underlying table which in turn affects the rightbar width. Nothing else in the sidebar is causing it, I have checked thoroughly.

I started with a standard template, but there is nothing left of it except things I haven't gotten around to eliminating as necessary to the new look and operation. I use NoteTabPro to edit locally, and I host the blog on my own domain using Westnet.

thanks again John, I really appreciate your help - I am off to check out the link you have given me.