PDA

View Full Version : Learning to write the Code for an applet

clearmarble
12-20-2004, 06:34 AM
How do I learn to write the code for an applet published on the web? I am not seeking to copy the code, just learn it in order to generate similar results. Is that possible?

mattZ
12-20-2004, 10:19 PM
What are you trying to do? Are you trying to write your own applet? If so, you need to learn the Java language. The best online tutorial is at:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html
Or you can buy the books at amazon.com

If you are trying to imitate another applet, you will need to contact the author to see the source code because java applets are compiled into bytecode. You can also find useful information about the applet by using the javaDoc tool found in the Java SDK available at http://java.sun.com/

clearmarble
12-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Below is the applet information. I have contacted the author several times with no response.

The following is the script for the applet:

<applet archive="DuriusWaterPic.jar" width="346" height="120" code="DuriusWaterPic.class">
<param name="cabbase" value="DuriusWaterPic.cab">
<param name="dim" value="5">
<param name="dotsize" value="7">
<param name="logoheight" value="120">
<param name="image" value="Images/newlogo.jpg">
<param name="mouse" value="1">
<param name="noise" value="2">
<param name="delay" value="100">
<param name="target" value="_self">
<param name="bg" value="FFFFFF">
<param name="reg" value="40953303">
</applet>

I would be greatful if you would give specific resources as how to write similar applets.

Thanks for your help

mattZ
12-22-2004, 05:33 PM
That is not the code. It is just the parameter variable configurations. The main class for the applet is located at "DuriusWaterPic.class". That is where the actual code is, not on the web page. The only way to imitate the applet is to obtain the source code from the author, or to start from scratch. If you want to create an instance of the applet on your page, paste the code into your page, and change the archive and code attributes of the applet tag to absolute URLs instead of relative URLs.