PDA

View Full Version : Help with Overlapping Content Link

Wildfire563
07-14-2006, 08:44 PM
1) Script Title: Overlapping Content Link

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex5/overlapcontent.htm

3) Describe problem: I'm having a problem with http://www.flyingscool.com

the links that start with "more..." are supposed to use the Overlapping Content Link script to open a window at the link to provide more info.

Unfortunately, on IE6 (I haven't tested others), the windows are popping up out of sight at the bottom of the page. What am I doing wrong? I've followed all the directions as far as I can tell.

The example on the Dynamic Drive page works fine for me.

Also, what is the file name under href=xxx supposed to do? Why is it there? Should I have it point to a real page?

Thanks,

jscheuer1
07-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Your HTML is a bit of a mess. For one thing you have the triggers for the overlapping content inside of a table but, where they are is in a table row. You have no table cell there. If you were to put <td></td> tags where they would belong, you would see that the triggers are actually at the bottom of the page and that the overlapping content is appearing in the correct place. However, this is not what you want. I got it looking the same as it does now and working properly by moving the triggers (shown below in dark red color) outside of the table and placing them before it in the code:

. . .if (ie4||dom)
window.onload=startit
else
setInterval("rotateimage()",pause)

</script>
<br>
<font face="Arial Black" color="#000000"><i><b>
Classes now offered through Acton-Boxborough Community Education</b></i></font><br>
<a href="#" onClick="return overlay(this, 'subcontent')">more...</a><br>
<br>
<p><font face="Arial Black" color="#000000"><i><b>
Join us at the next Young Eagles rally!
</b></i></font><br>
<a href="#" onClick="return overlay(this, 'subcontent2')">more...</a><br /></p>
<table border="0" id="table2" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="10" width="105%">
<tr>

<!--Sub content to overlay link when clicked on. Do not remove outermost <div id="subcontent"> tag below. -->
<DIV id="subcontent" . . .

If you do this, don't forget to remove these triggers from inside the table.

Wildfire563
07-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Hmm, what's the smiley for sheepish grin? Yes, it is a bit of a mess :-), sorry.

That worked great. Thanks for the help. And I am trying to figure out how to simplify the site, it's gotten quite congested. I think I started the table because I was trying to get that second picture to the position I wanted, and it grew from there.

I'm thinking of moving some of the menu items across the top to sort of spread things out and make it more usable.

My original idea was that I wanted a page that was different, more rounded and not so "square". And I was originally hoping to keep it simple. But of course, as things go ... time to go back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.

Thomas