PDA

View Full Version : PRELOAD Scripts

rmlnm
12-19-2004, 04:51 AM
:confused: I have downloaded several Preload Image scripts, some work, most don't, but none actually speed up the loading of images.

Can someone explain to me how loading images via a preloader is any faster
than not using a preloader. In fact, not using a preloader loads my images faster!

cr3ative
12-19-2004, 10:11 AM
It doesn't make the images load faster... we never said it did.

But when using a fast-progressing image slideshow, it eliminates the show having to pause to download an image.

Merry Christmas
cr3ative

rmlnm
12-19-2004, 01:27 PM
:confused: Merry Christmas to you too! The general message being sent out is that images will load faster with a preloader. Images must be loaded whether it be by a preloader or by the html program and as far as I can comprehend, it should require the same amount of time either way.

My slide show does not start unitl ALL the images have been loaded. I don't know why this is the case. I suppose the preloader is looping thru loading images and does not relinquish control until it is done.

What I have noticed is that as long as the Temporary Internet Folder contains the URLs, loading is super fast, preloader or no preloader.

What I need is a script that will allow me to update the Temporary Internet Folder from another file where I keep the URLs

I used to install and maintain IBM VM, MVS systems but this this Javascript makes absolutely no sense to me!

Minos
12-30-2004, 07:07 PM
...the items in the temporary internet files load faster because they are cached onto your system. Unless you specify that you do NOT want that, it happens to everyone when they connect to a page, basically saving a copy (not quite, but similar) on your pc. Thus, the next time you connect, it knows what it is doing. The downside is if you have a page that updates often, you could theoretically be looking at an older version.

There is no way to speed up the loading, but, if you put a preloading script (or a loading w/ progress bar) on a page BEFORE the page you have the slideshow, the images will already be loaded, and thus ready to fly.