PDA

View Full Version : Loading an external site WITHIN a site?

JohnH1971
07-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Here's the problem: I want to create a site built around forums. What I want to create is a site that has a header and a navigation column to the side with a main window/cell for the forum. When someone clicks one of the links on the side nav bar it loads the applicable forum in the main cell. When they click another link on the nave bar the main cell is replaced with the selected forum.

Is that possible?

TMPS
07-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Just include your navigation in the header file. Most of the forums are using templates so it shouldn't be a problem

djr33
07-10-2006, 06:50 AM
With frames/iframes, each should have a name -- and _parent is the default name of the frame holding an iframe when called from the iframe -- so all you need to do is specify target="_parent" in the links in the iframe.

And, yes, most forums would be based on templates... that might work too.

JohnH1971
07-10-2006, 08:18 AM
TMPS - Thanks, I'll look into that...
DJR - I don't want to use frames... if I use _self or _parent the forum will just load "over the top" of my original page losing the Header and the Side Column.

djr33
07-10-2006, 08:53 AM
"Links" (pages) cannot load into cells. That's exactly what frames are for.

Set an iframe to be the cell, then give it a name. Use target="name".

JohnH1971
07-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I understand about not being able to load a link into a table cell - but I was under the impression that it MIGHT be possible to do something CSS-wise? But I am clueless with CSS anyway!

I haven't used an iFrame before either. I used to use Frames many years ago - back in Dreamweaver3 days but have more recently followed the convention that frames are VERRRRRY bad form!

I'll go back to looking at the iFrame concept. It does seem like the only way forward - Presumably the iFrame has addressed some of the disadvantages of frames??

Twey
07-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Frames aren't *that* bad an idea. They should certainly be avoided where possible, but nowadays just about all browsers support frames and handle them better, and they're only slightly inconvenient for the user. Frames aren't the only way to do what you want to accomplish here, though. I suggest the first option: modify your forum template to resemble the rest of your site.
Presumably the iFrame has addressed some of the disadvantages of frames??No. :)

JohnH1971
07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Many Thanks, Twey - and all others who have offered advice towards the solution. The former/latter would seem the best option - it's just fiddling with the forum code that might cause me my problems!!!!

Thanks all.