PDA

View Full Version : Java Fillout Form

Ubernoober
07-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Is there any way to use Java to make a form people can fill out information about themselves, for use as an Admin Application form, that will accept their information and either email it to me, or save it somewhere I can find it? Like an Application form....Thanks- Lee

Twey
07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Not without the aid of a server-side script, no. I'm going to assume you're talking about Javascript, not Java. If you do mean a Java servlet or applet, you've posted in totally the wrong place.

shachi
07-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Twey: We don't have a java forum you remember??:p
Ubernoober: You can post java related question in the forum called other. As Twey's old signature said "Java is not Javascript".;)

Ubernoober
07-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Not being sarcastic or malicious, I just don't have any idea what I am looking for, aside from what I need it to do. I've seen almost every thing in the library is javascript, and just thought I'd ask. Just looking for a little advice/Hints to point me in the right direction.

Twey
07-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Er, well, that doesn't really answer anything.

Do you mean Java or don't you?

djr33
07-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Javascript only affects things on a loaded page. It can't store info, send it, or anything like that. (With a few small exceptions)

PHP, or another server side language, will open up the options of storing the data from a form, reopening it, reviewing it, then sending to whatever. You can use a database, text files on the server, cookies where applicable (likely not in this case), and an email function.

The java question is valid, though, because it may be possible with java applets. It sounds like you meant javascript, so I'll assume you do.

tim.thelion
07-05-2006, 11:58 PM
with not but a working smtp server you could use this. http://www.io.com/~maus/JavaPage.html ;)

but it would be easier to use a web host with front page and just add a feedback form.

well anyway. why not just use a mail to?

<A HREF="mailto:email@domain.com?
subject=Feedback&amp;
body="First name: Last name: Address: Phone: E-mail:..."</A>

djr33
07-06-2006, 01:00 AM
mailto's are annoying, and quite incompatible, but much easier... so... good/bad...

Twey
07-06-2006, 01:53 AM
You'll want to put a > in there somewhere too. ;)

tim.thelion
07-06-2006, 04:24 AM
o oop's.

Ubernoober
07-06-2006, 05:00 AM
@ Twey, I meant javaScript, I didn't know until about an hour ago that there is a difference between java (Programming language) and javascript, thought it was just shortened slang. I guess I will have to go with php or something, if I want it to save and email correctly. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks be to Timthelion for his form submit thing, it was a good link, useful for future knowledge. I just wanted something that would be like a form submission thing like you fill out when you set up a new email account, with Name/D.O.B./Email/Char Name...etc, where they could either type responses in the boxes, or select from a drop down menu.